WARNING: SUS yoke installs on my SUS 113H gear set.

Started by Black Pearl, September 23, 2013, 10:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

What is the final word on Stainless yokes for the Black Pearl 113H stainless gear set ? I'm going to try the sanding down trick on one and see if it works, but I was wondering if anyone ever came out with one I can just buy.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Shark Hunter

You have to sand the eccentric plate where the yoke rides. The ones I got from Lee were completely square, these were for the 114H,9/0. I lightly sanded the yoke and put them in, very rough. I took the plate out and sanded it good with emery cloth at the contact points of the yoke. Smooth as Butta! ;)
You can get these from Lee or Dawn.
Life is Good!

seaeagle2

\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Shark Hunter

No, The eccentric plate. The bridge goes on last with the four screws.
Life is Good!

handi2

I'm still having trouble with Alan Chui's pinion gear eating away at the sanded down SS yokes. The pinion gear is really chewing up the inside of the yoke on one side only. When out of gear I can turn the handle and feel the gear chewing away. This was on 2 different 113H reels.

I tried the stock yoke and can feel it chewing away also. I'll take it out tomorrow and take a look. I think I need to ease the edges of the pinion gear itself. Any ideas..??
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Your pinion probably wasn't cleaned as it should have been. Sanding down the yoke won't help, you do need to get a file and smooth the edge on the pinion by the grove where the yoke rides. Was the yoke from Dawn?
Lee made a few, the were cut perfectly, but after a few tests I discovered that the material was too soft.
Lee was aware of this, but I'm not sure if he made adjustments or not.
To find which one you have try to bend it, lf it bends easily, you have the soft material.
The jack and yoke on the jigmaster kit from Alan Chui are heat treated, those don't flex at all.
We should have the same for all, but I still believe your problem is related to the pinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

That was my next step to file the teeth edges on the pinion gear. Yes the yoke is from Dawn and its too soft...
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on August 08, 2014, 04:41:54 PM
That was my next step to file the teeth edges on the pinion gear. Yes the yoke is from Dawn and its too soft...
Yes, try filing down the pinion as you mentioned on your first posting and it should do just fine. Dawn's yokes are not bad, the first run from Lee were too soft. I've seen my share of stock Penn yokes chewed up and that was with the stock gears. No matter what you use, the yoke will eventually need replacement, but the heat treated ones would go a long way.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

I took a new SS yoke and sanded it down to the same thickness as the stock brass ones. It took about 15 minutes and now I don't need a manicure! I also filed the leading edge for the eccentric jack.

After filing each tooth on the pinion it now seems to be nice and smooth. No grinding when turning the handle with the reel in freespool. I guess we will see how long it lasts.

This is on the 113H reel only. The smaller and larger reels I never had a problem.

I used a Tiburon T4 Topless Frame which takes a stock Penn spool. Alan C's SS gear set, Bryan's metal washers, .75mm Carbontex drag washers 8 + 1, and other goodies.

35 lbs. of smooth drag tightened by hand with room to go more. Tested with a straight pull on the spring scale.

It goes from 20 lbs. to 35 lbs. with one half turn on after market larger drag star.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Glad it worked out for you Keith,you probably would have gotten away without sanding the yoke.
Those are stamped, if you look close one side has a rounded soft edge, the other is sharp. I always put the rounded edge on top, it will help the tabs on the jack slide over it easier.
If you need to sand a small part and want to keep your fingers, try this, a piece of scrap wood and some tape:

Good job ironing that issue out ;).

handi2

Pompano Joe and I have been trying different ways to sand down metal drag washers. Good Tip..!
Gulf Breeze, FL

seaeagle2

My 113h's have been on the back burner sitting on my workbench for a while, I'm sort of confused as to exactly what needs to be done to get the stainless gears and yoke to work, I've tried sanding the yoke but where do I file the pinion and what is the ecentric plate ? and where do I sand it ? I only have til next May until halibut season to get this figured out. ???

Alto Mare

Quote from: seaeagle2 on August 24, 2014, 02:39:16 AM
My 113h's have been on the back burner sitting on my workbench for a while, I'm sort of confused as to exactly what needs to be done to get the stainless gears and yoke to work, I've tried sanding the yoke but where do I file the pinion and what is the ecentric plate ? and where do I sand it ? I only have til next May until halibut season to get this figured out. ???
Seaeagle, at the beginning we were experimenting with a few things and yes it does get confusing.
Unfortunately we will need to wait until all done with upgrades to lay it all out, that might never come ;D.
If you assemble the 113H with all the goodies available and all is working as it should, there is no need to do any sanding anywhere.
You will need to do some fine tuning only if the reel is not performing as it should, as not going in and out of gear smoothly.
Helping with going in and out of gear, you would usually sand the tip of tabs on the the jack, as making them a little rounded so it will slide easier on the yoke. If you look at the yoke, you will notice that the one side has softer edges, that's a result from stamping the part. put the rounded edge facing up and it will work better for you.
Any other issues could also be addressed, but as I mentioned above, install he parts available to us and take it from there.

Brystons

Just wondering what kind of problems people have ran into with the unsanded yokes.