stuck gears in the calcutta te's

Started by alantani, March 28, 2010, 06:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/shimano/203148-shimano-calcutta-300-400te-tutorial.html

Quote from: steelfish;1709646hey Dan,

yes man, I doing a complete cleaning and lube job on that reel, and actually it has a little corrosion /rust in the drive shaft so it's posible to have some between the clutch innet tube and drive shaft, not sure..  I already try it a flathead screw driver and was too hard, so,  is this CLR is better than using WD-40 agains rust?  I dont think I have CLR on hand what other rust remover can I try?  I hear that carb/choke cleaner is safe on reels, and I have some cans on hand, but didnt tryed yesterday because Im not sure if it can affect drags material.  now that your are talking about drags, this dartanium, I can just clean them and put some grase like Alan tani does or this material it has to be used dry...

when I opened itl I found out that entire reel was dry as a bone no green, blue or clear grase residuals, good thing is that only the drive shaft shows signs of little corrosion, and the roller clucht bearing was really dirty (no rust signs). this an actual pic of my reel, it shows a lot of sand (or crystlized salt?) but luckyly everything seems ok except for the little rust on the drive shaft

the gear is stuck, isn't it! to get it unstuck, hold the main gear with your left hand and band the top of the drive shaft with something plastic. you'll pop it loose! just don't loose any springs. alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

nice to see that my case help others

actually I hit the inner tube with a wooden spoon from the kitchen and after some "delicate treatment" it got loose
small corrocion inside the tube was the problem

thanks Alan one more time
The Baja Guy