First Post - Troubleshoot question

Started by Grego, March 29, 2010, 09:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grego

Thanks for having this board! Been seeing links to your How-To's for a couple years but want to get more into doing my own maintenance.

I changed the drags on a Daiwa SL30SH (Smoooth Carbontex), greased the bearings and oiled the spool bearings....basically did everything and used everything that you said to do in the Sealine How To.  I put everything back together and it all works, BUT when I turn the handle and just let it fly I start to hear a low grinding noise as soon as I let go of the handle and it continues to turn?  Seems like if I crank while the reel is tilted I hear that noise again....is something loose or the gear is bad?  I have no left over pieces ;D

alantani

there are a couple of possibilities.  if you turn the reel to one side or the other, then spin the spool in free and notice a noise, then you probably have a bad spool bearing on that side.  a quick manual check of the bearings will confirm that.  if the bearings are perfect, then the only other thing that could be making noise is the gear set.  under a heavy load, the gear teeth become slightly deformed.  it becomes more pronounced when you crank the handle, turn the spool, and then press with your left thumb and place slight pressure on the spool.  if the noise is acceptable, stay with the original gear set.  if it is really bothersome, call the manufacturer and order up a new main and pinion gear.  remember, if you replace gears as a set.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Grego

Thanks so much! Not the bearings, but likely the gear set like you said.  I know the reel got worked by a very large T-Shark, thus the need for new drags...my friend just confirmed that's when the "noise" first appeared...whew! nothing I did!

Grego

Grego

Just a follow up -  ordered, picked-up (20 min away from daiwa), and installed the new drive and pinion gear.  Works like new! thanks again.