Garcia Mitchell 306 Assembly Help

Started by Windsurfrgal, October 01, 2013, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark A

Just as a note, another great resource for Garcia Mitchell and Mitchell reels, rods and other items made by them is  The Mitchell Reel Museum  (mitchellreelmuseum.com)

happyhooker

Welcome, Mark, from Minnesota USA.  Lotsa folks here like Mitchells.  And, yes, the Museum site is a nice resource.

Frank

okazu

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 19, 2018, 05:49:15 AM
Lightly tap the rotor off towards the front. Then remove the keyway pin, bushing & pinion gear. Then you can remove the main gear. Go back to pg 1, Keith's (handy2's) photos show that step by step process in reverse. Also see Fred's post regarding the key on pg 2. 

Hello! I am a new member who found this site through searching information about servicing a Mitchell 306. I saw it's been a few years since the last post was placed on this thread. I hope this gets read....

Anyways, I just inherited a Mitchell 306 from 70's. When I received it, a mono line was eaten under the rotor into the little space. I managed to coax it out. I do not think i broke it but the rotor feels terrible heavy when spinned. While I tried to disassemble it, I could not remove the rotor after removing the main shaft and the plastic cover. It feels firmly stuck. Could anyone recommend me how to go about removing rotor when stuck?

Thank you so much and happy holidays, folks. -Kaz
Happy 

foakes

Hi Kaz —

If you have removed the plastic round rotor nut with a penny — the rotor should come off.

If it is stuck — just apply a few taps on the backside of the rotor — which should loosen it up so it will come forward off of the pinion.

If it is really stuck badly — it may also require a little penetrating oil to drop around the Pinion/Rotor connection — then it will come loose.

There is also a tiny Drive "key" in the side of the pinion housing.  Don't lose this — it will spoil your day.   But if you do — no worries — I have plenty.

Oftentimes — 306, 302 type Mitchells have been used in the salt — and could be either salt encrusted, rusted, or fused.

If so, you may need a pinion bearing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

okazu

Thank you Fred for your quick response. I tried the "few taps" but did not work for me. I have a case of it is really stuck badly. I will try the penetrating oil! Thanks.

Quote from: foakes on December 11, 2021, 11:50:11 PM
Hi Kaz —

If you have removed the plastic round rotor nut with a penny — the rotor should come off.

If it is stuck — just apply a few taps on the backside of the rotor — which should loosen it up so it will come forward off of the pinion.

If it is really stuck badly — it may also require a little penetrating oil to drop around the Pinion/Rotor connection — then it will come loose.

There is also a tiny Drive "key" in the side of the pinion housing.  Don't lose this — it will spoil your day.   But if you do — no worries — I have plenty.

Oftentimes — 306, 302 type Mitchells have been used in the salt — and could be either salt encrusted, rusted, or fused.

If so, you may need a pinion bearing.

Best,

Fred

okazu

Thank you Fred again. It was really tough to remove rotor and pinion gear. With penetrating oil and careful use of rubber mallet did the trick. I managed to clean, grease/oil, and reassemble my 306. Putting back the pinion gear was not easy. I use some oil to lubricate the casing's outside and managed it. Thanks again for this forum!

The remaining question I have is on drag. The drag clicker is disengaged and I am having a hard time to reset the little wire spring to get the clicker working again. I'd appreciate it if anyone could share a trick to set it up without a special tool (which obviously I do not have)?

Thank you again! -Kaz

mo65

Quote from: okazu on December 27, 2021, 06:56:53 AM
The remaining question I have is on drag. The drag clicker is disengaged and I am having a hard time to reset the little wire spring to get the clicker working again. I'd appreciate it if anyone could share a trick to set it up without a special tool (which obviously I do not have)?

Here is a photo of the drag click spring in place...hope this helps. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

okazu

Thank you Sensei mo65. Mine looks a little different and when I put the spool back, it does not latch so no drag clicking sound. I tried to pry the spring a little to see if I could make the clicker spring engage but could not work it out so far. Any insights from you experts are greatly appreciated! -Kaz

mo65

Look at the area of the spring I've circled in yellow...now go back and look at the photo I posted...I think you'll know what to do. 8)

okazu

Thank you for answering my newbie question, Mr. mo65. I was not confident to alter a part like that. A simple application of my radio pench solved my issue..... With your help, I completed my maintenance project on 306. Thank you so much. Now to Garcia Mitchell 622 and Daiwa AG1305XB. Happy holidays to you all. -Kaz

mo65

Quote from: okazu on December 27, 2021, 10:21:56 PM
Thank you for answering my newbie question, Mr. mo65.

Glad I could help!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: okazu on December 27, 2021, 08:32:06 PM
Thank you Sensei mo65. Mine looks a little different and when I put the spool back, it does not latch so no drag clicking sound. I tried to pry the spring a little to see if I could make the clicker spring engage but could not work it out so far. Any insights from you experts are greatly appreciated! -Kaz

Mike gave you great advice. It looks to me like someone purposely bent your spring so that it would not click. Not sure why someone would do that but that spring strap metal is fairly stiff and difficult to bend into that configuration unless it was on purpose. .   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Might be best to install a new spring so that the audible clicker works.

If you would like one — just let me know and I will send one to you at no charge.

Those springs are hard to get back into the proper orientation without weakening or breaking them.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cmdrzog

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 28, 2021, 04:47:43 AM

Mike gave you great advice. It looks to me like someone purposely bent your spring so that it would not click. Not sure why someone would do that but that spring strap metal is fairly stiff and difficult to bend into that configuration unless it was on purpose. .   

Clickers were silenced by beach guys so at  night or  a foggy morning  others on the beach  did not know that you were catching and crowd you off the fish

Midway Tommy

Quote from: cmdrzog on December 28, 2021, 12:20:20 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 28, 2021, 04:47:43 AM

Clickers were silenced by beach guys so at  night or  a foggy morning  others on the beach  did not know that you were catching and crowd you off the fish

A Concealed Carry would have put an end to that nonsense pretty quickly. :D   ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)