Garcia Mitchell 306 Assembly Help

Started by Windsurfrgal, October 01, 2013, 02:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsurfrgal

I inherited my Dad's Garcia Mitchell 306 reel. Wanted to clean it and obtained schematics and user manual online. However can't reassemble correctly. The old manual pics are very hard to read and steps for reassembly are missing. Anyone know where to get additional info? I have obviously put some parts in wrong. Also a tiny pin popped off that is nowhere in instructions and have no idea where it goes!!

bluefish69

Windsurfergal

Try Mitchell Fishing Reel Museum -- This is the one I am using. I'm also working on my 50+ yo reel. Let me know how you do with this.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Windsurfrgal

Thanks for pointing me to the museum. I have contacted them and waiting to hear back.

bluefish69

I pull up my cut sheet from the web site. There is another sheet for a parts list.

Mike

Windsurfrgal

Yes I have the sheets but they are really hard to read.

bluefish69

Don't just stair at the sheet, every so often het up & walk away & come back. I was brought up reading building plans.

Lay the parts out just like the drawing & they will come together. All of us are with you on your project.

Mike

VW

Windsurfergal,

Are you talking about digital/.pdf manual and schematics you "obtained online"?  If so, any .pdf viewer program, including browsers, will allow you to enlarge/zoom in, making them much easier to read.

I am making an assumption here but suspect the "tiny pin" you are asking about is the key that locks the rotor to the pinion gear nose. Without it, the pinion/rotor connection will slip.  Does it have a rectangular portion with a round stud off one side?  If that is what you are asking about I can give you further info on assembly.  If not, you will have to describe it or post a photo.

Have you been able to figure out how to assemble the axle/spool oscillation parts?  That can be a challenge.