need weigts for Blackfish Season

Started by mrbrklyn, October 01, 2013, 06:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 21, 2013, 07:44:47 PM
I wonderin the same thing. And about the weights having to be flat, why? I think tog fishing is like fishing for sheeps head we just use bell shaped weights with a hook on a dropper loop above when fishing sraight down

For togging you want your bait to remain as still as possible.  Once your bait hits the bottom you need to feel around with the sinker to find a good piece of structure.  Once you've found it, you want it to stay there without moving off the spot.  It is sometimes hard to do in a rolling sea.  I've used both, but that is where the flat bank sinkers hold an advantage over the regular bank sinkers.

Just a jig-a-lo

bluefish69

Quote from: Dwbuzzard on October 21, 2013, 04:19:48 PM
we used to use old spark plugs from the garage, if you can still get them. The mecanic would save them for us. Cant beat free

When you have to fish with 6 - 12oz sinkers Spark Plugs kind of don't work. If you fish Fisher's Island on a running tide try 28oz sinkers.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ok now i just wanna know why cops cant touch lead ??? ;D
Grayson Lanier

bluefish69

I don't know. I married into this family 44yrs ago. My in laws are strange people. They might have used LaTex gloves to load their guns. They met in a Squard Car.

Mike

Dwbuzzard

the newest craze is to use a jig head and attach the crab directly wothout the need of additional weight nor a "fishfinder" rig

Bucktail

Quote from: Dwbuzzard on October 26, 2013, 08:06:14 PM
the newest craze is to use a jig head and attach the crab directly wothout the need of additional weight nor a "fishfinder" rig

I have always wanted to try a jig head for tog.  I would guess they work well inshore, in shallow water.  I don't think you could use them in deep water, with a hard current, when you need 8-16 oz. to hold. 

Do you use a fishfinder rig for tog?  I don't know anyone that does.  I would think you would give the fish too much time to bury itself down in the wreck or rocks.
Just a jig-a-lo

Bunnlevel Sharker

As long as you have braid and the right jig head, I don't think it would be a problem
Grayson Lanier

Dwbuzzard

I fish the Newport ri area mostly for tog. 15-50 ft of water depending on the time of the season. I always use a fish finder rig and usually 2 oz rarely over 4

bluefish69

Down here we are very very lucky to get away with 5 oz. Most of the time it's 8 - 10 oz & sometimes 12 oz.

Mike

Frank

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 27, 2013, 08:35:47 PM
Down here we are very very lucky to get away with 5 oz. Most of the time it's 8 - 10 oz & sometimes 12 oz.

Mike

Same here Mike.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

bluefish69

All I need now is a 25# bag of 12 oz & 16 oz

Mike

bluefish69

I could But I have my own Source

Mike

Bucktail

Quote from: Frank on October 27, 2013, 08:56:41 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on October 27, 2013, 08:35:47 PM

Mike

Same here Mike.

Frank

Yeah, on the deeper wrecks and rockpiles that I fish we generally start with 6 or 8 and go up from there.
Just a jig-a-lo