Tyrnos 30 stiff

Started by Ballsie1, October 02, 2013, 08:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballsie1

Hi guys,
Stripped down a friends reel that is binding tight when the lever drag is pushed up. I have changed the pinion bearing that really wasn't that bad.
I must say somebody else has been into this reel as there is gummed up crapy grease inside everywhere.
The reel hasn't awesome free spool, I have another tyrnos 30 that I have interchanged the lever and cam. Any suggestions would be great before I start swapping part for part until I find it

Ballsie1

Typo, the reel has awesome free spool now after all the bearings were cleaned out.

Bryan Young

So, are your reels working great now?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ballsie1

No Bryan,
I'm still having troubles with one tightening when I increase the lever to strike.
I have noticed the cam has a broken edge on one of the hexagonal sides, that I will replace, but I have interchanged the cam from the other reel to check that and it still binds.
I'm going to swap the handle side of each reel to narrow it down,
Then I suppose shaft swap.
Ta Ben

Bryan Young

If its jot the pinion bearing, it could be that you are missing a thrust washer on the handle side of the handle shaft or someone placed a thrust washer next to the gear on the handle shaft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hope the reel is not dead! "STIFF" ;)

akfish

It really sounds like the pinion bearing to me. It will be hard to turn the handle is the bearing shows any grittiness at all when under pressure. Press it hard between your finger and see if you feel anything at al.  If it isn't he pinion bearing, it could be the outside left spool bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ballsie1

I know it sounds like the pinion bearing, but I have changed that bearing and the shaft bearing that was closest to the drag stack which was rusted.

Ballsie1

finally had some time to strip it down again. looks like the side plate near the handle bush is damaged.
photo of the good working order
and the bad

Ballsie1

Sorry I mean under the pinion bearing

Bryan Young

Thats an easy fix id you have access ti thrust washers that are the same id as the bearing.  Place a thrust washer or more depending on the thickness so that the bearing inner race does not cause the bearing assembly to contact the sideplate.