Upgrading drag washers on Stella 10000 SW

Started by Justin Casey, October 07, 2013, 08:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Casey

Hi all,
Big thanks for this site it is a huge help.
As you can guess I have a nice new set of carbontex washers for my Stella 10000SW, I have got the stack on the top of the spool fitted no problems but I am unable to remove the bearing bushing from the underside of the spool to fit the final washer.
Everything so far has come apart without force but the old washers were pretty badly damaged and I have been picking little bits of washer out. I don't know if there are bits causing the bushing to jam or if there is a specific tool or technique to removing it.
Checking the other tutorials I haven't been able to see any reels that share the same parts.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, if pics are required I can give it a go.

Thanks.

Justin.

thedw

hmm just cleaned out the stack on my JDM 10k. no probs at all...

hmm so basically the top bearing is held inplace and connect to part number 19. on the spec sheet. This is the metal spool hub. so the top bearing cannot be removed unless u take away the C clip retainer which is part no. 135.

after removing the retaining C clip. Both the top bearing and bottom spool bearing as well as the spool hub should come clean off without any sweat!

if this doesnt work perhaps u might like to take some pics for our reference!

oh n rmb to use teflon based grease like cals/shimano drag grease!  ;)

Justin Casey

Hi and thanks for the reply,

The top bearing on the bushing has an o ring above it but no retaining clip that I can see, checked the schematics and there is no clip listed. I will try and get a photo but it will be a few days as I have to get back to work unfortunately.

Thanks for the help and hope you all can hook a few.

Justin.

thedw

Hi there Justin!

yes! there is a rubber O ring on top of the top bearing. and below there, lies a tiny c clip that sits almost flushed to the spool hub!

U can try gently taking out the top spool bearing ; but  it wont budge, this is due to the C clip.

Oh and yea i cant seem to find it on the schematics too

hope this helps!

Justin Casey

That would explain it, cheers!

I will have a closer look when I get a chance and let you know.

Thank you.

Justin.

Justin Casey

Hi,

C clip found and removed.
Old washer removed and all parts cleaned up (it looks like it has been a while since anyone has been here).
New washer fitted with a bit of Cals drag grease, all bits put back together ok.

Weather checked and looking good for an overnight trip out to the local islands off Onslow WA.
Time to test those new washers.

Thanks for your help here guys.

Justin

thedw