Biomaster 3500GT

Started by Zimbass, October 08, 2013, 08:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Was given this reel when some Shimano agents came out to Zim some 25 years ago. Not used it much as the reel has a permanent clicker when the anti-reverse is engaged.

I felt like giving it a service after so long, but never had the schematic. Anyone know where I can find one, or have one they can email me.

Thanks.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

philaroman

that's an oldie from before SuperStopper was introduced -- right?  "permanent clicker" sounds like something under the rotor is out of place -- usually the A/R lock-out & spring (hopefully not broken)

1991 Spheros 3000F/4000F should be pretty similar in design, where it counts -- not necessarily same-size compatible parts, though

http://www.reelschematic.com/schematics/shimano.php

If you find a source for actual Biomaster schematics, PLEASE let me know -- been lookin' for years

Zimbass

Thanks philaroman. It is prior to SuperStopper, so a real oldie. The reel has a clicker that is engaged just above the rotor, on a spring held bracket. Nothing out of place as far as I can see.

The Spheros is very similar, but does not have the clicker I alluded to. If I do succeed in finding anything, I will be sure to let you know.

jonathan.han

Spring loaded anti-reverse system; pre-clutch bearing (Super Stopper) design. It is supposed to click if it has a spring loaded dog. Super Stopper I and II was when they placed the one way clutch bearing into their reel designs.
raw instinct

philaroman

Quote from: jonathan.han on October 12, 2013, 04:02:24 AM
Spring loaded anti-reverse system; pre-clutch bearing (Super Stopper) design. It is supposed to click if it has a spring loaded dog. Super Stopper I and II was when they placed the one way clutch bearing into their reel designs.

Sorry, but you're WAAAAAAY OFFFFF

maybe there's some great-great-grandaddy Shimano spinner that uses a simple spring-loaded dog & INTENTIONALLY goes clunk, clunk, clunk like an old Mitchell -- I've never seen one

in old (or, cheap) Shimanos, the act of backreeling is what engages a multi-part mechanism that moves the A/R pawl IN toward 1-8 teeth of a ratchet mounted on the spool shaft

the original SuperStopper moves the pawl OUT to engage 10-20 teeth on the inner circumference of the rotor -- there is no roller bearing; the A/R is not instant, but continuous with a tiny amount of back-play (very nice setup for S/W -- much easier to clean)

with either setup, the pawl is out of the way when you reel forward & the reel is SILENT -- if a Shimano clicks during the retrieve, IT'S MESSED UP!!!

Zimbass

I can't argue the point with anyone, as spinning reels are not my speciality. However this reel was new when I got it from the Shimano UK agent, and it clicked then, and clicks now. Only when the anti-reverse switch is disengaged does it go silent. It was a top of the range reel in it's day, so not a cheapy.

All of the other spinning reels I have ever owned are silent, and I have a great number that I use.

philaroman

Dug out my Biomaster 4000GT & took a look under the rotror... NOW I REMEMBER -- yes, it did have a little spring-loaded tab on the top bracket, to make clicky noises.  I took that junk off years ago -- it's completely cosmetic & not part of the A/R mechanism, or anything useful.  So, technically, your Shimano is "messed up"... by the Manufacturer  :o  very silly for Shimano to have added superfluous parts, just to get the sound of an old French reel.  Otherwise, it's a very cool reel -- very compact & light w/ huge spool & drag (the old 4000-size is same as later 6000; old 3000 = 4000; not sure where your 3500 falls in)

What I said above still holds up: the A/R pawl (dog) slides into position when the rotor moves backwards & slides out of the way during retrieve -- it does not click over ratchet teeth.

For service without schematics, here's a neat trick: as you take the reel apart, use empty egg-crates to put parts in consecutive compartments; take digital photos along the way; and reassemble in reverse order. If you choose correct critical moments & angles for the photos, it works better than any schematic. Best of all -- NO "EXTRA" PARTS left over!!!  you get to an egg-hole -- you MUST figure out where the part(s) go, before you proceed (hmmm, I think I'll put that in the TIP OF THE DAY thread)

jonathan.han

Quote from: philaroman on October 12, 2013, 07:15:24 AM
Quote from: jonathan.han on October 12, 2013, 04:02:24 AM

Sorry, but you're WAAAAAAY OFFFFF

maybe there's some great-great-grandaddy Shimano spinner that uses a simple spring-loaded dog & INTENTIONALLY goes clunk, clunk, clunk like an old Mitchell -- I've never seen one

in old (or, cheap) Shimanos, the act of backreeling is what engages a multi-part mechanism that moves the A/R pawl IN toward 1-8 teeth of a ratchet mounted on the spool shaft

the original SuperStopper moves the pawl OUT to engage 10-20 teeth on the inner circumference of the rotor -- there is no roller bearing; the A/R is not instant, but continuous with a tiny amount of back-play (very nice setup for S/W -- much easier to clean)

with either setup, the pawl is out of the way when you reel forward & the reel is SILENT -- if a Shimano clicks during the retrieve, IT'S MESSED UP!!!

Yup. I'm "waaaaay off". That is what I get for posting after working on about 50 of 250 commercial crab pots that weigh 120lbs. a piece since 5:30am yesterday. My spinning reel game is not as tight as it once was since I avoid work on them now. I rarely refer to schematics anymore and have forgotten the little idiosyncrasies associated with spinners. There was a time when I was working on and fishing spinners frequently, but that was almost 10 yrs. ago now. In the future, I will avoid posting on spinners since I am not as in tune with them any longer.
raw instinct

Alto Mare

Jonathan, we're humans not robots. You're allowed to get one wrong every now and then.
I hope you keep on posting on those, you are very knowledgeable and I've been enjoying your participation here ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jonathan.han

Thanks. I am self-critical. I hate being wrong :-\
raw instinct

Zimbass

Quote from: philaroman on October 08, 2013, 04:11:22 PM
that's an oldie from before SuperStopper was introduced -- right?  "permanent clicker" sounds like something under the rotor is out of place -- usually the A/R lock-out & spring (hopefully not broken)

1991 Spheros 3000F/4000F should be pretty similar in design, where it counts -- not necessarily same-size compatible parts, though

http://www.reelschematic.com/schematics/shimano.php

If you find a source for actual Biomaster schematics, PLEASE let me know -- been lookin' for years

After all these years I found this site that has the Biomaster schematics !!

http://www.spin-review.ru/eng/shimano/biomaster.htm

rockit

Just to let know anybody who's looking for older Shimano JDM reels' parts diagrams: you can find'em (Stella, Twinpower, Ultegra, Biomaster) here:
http://www.spin-review.ru/eng/shimano.shtml