Stradic FI grip question?

Started by captscott, October 10, 2013, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captscott

Has anybody come up with a solution to the peeling grip problem that is a known issue on the Stradic FI's, Sustains, and even the Stella's I believe.  I talked to Shimano, they blamed sunscreen, but I only apply in the morning and thoroughly wash hands before heading out.  I believe it was actually caused by spraying down my reels with a product called reel magic (water displacer and lubricant)  after saltwater trips.  I love the reels they have 5 years of use probably well over 100 days a year, and are still working nearly flawlessly with almost zero maintenance, but the septon? rubber on the knobs is peeling away and on a few of them is sticky, more annoying then anything. Anyway I have 6 of these in 3000, and 4000 sizes and was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution?  Thanks Guys!

Bryan Young

Sorry Scott...No solutions to that problem other than replacing the knob.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

philaroman

1) don't know about sunscreen, but bug spray can wreak MAJOR havoc!  I had a DEET spray-can go off inside a closed bin & it destroyed all sorts of synthetic goodies: lures, boxes, binders, Nalgene water bottles...  some hard plastics literally turned to spongy mush TO THE CORE!!!

2) QUICK/CHEAP/SLOPPY: put 3-4 layers of Tommy Tape (or any good self-adhering/non-adhesive silicone) over your old grips & FISH ON

3) check w/ this eBay guy that people seem to like:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_armrs=1&_ssn=fishincomfort&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=shimano+%28grip%2Cknob%2Cpower%29+-drag&_sop=15

he's selling AFFORDABLE kits for drilling out & completely replacing the entire knob/stem assembly.  maybe he can cut you a bulk deal on just knobs, if everything matches -- HEIGHT, COLLAR O.D., BEARING O.D.

captscott

The eBay guy has some cool looking stuff, would love a couple of those t handles on my toriums. A friend peeled all the septon off of his Stella, and it really doesn't look to bad just white nylon
Like material.  Was thinking about peeling it off and using some of that new dip that is popular, but if it doesn't turn out I'm in trouble. I wish they would have used the wooden handle like the old FG stradic. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

PTY-BigKahuna

Hey everyone, i came across this new product named Sugru. It is a moldable clay that hardens into rubber. I myself have to try this but it seems promising. I think that it could be used as a fix for the handle, by removing that gunky mess and putting this stuff on it.
here is the site
https://sugru.com/about