Big Tuna Big Decision

Started by Tommy_Tuna, April 02, 2010, 03:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_Tuna

I now own a 30VSW. I bought it before the introduction of the VSX series. I bought the 30VSW because it is a lot lighter than the 50 VSW. It is at least 18 ounces lighter than the 50VSX. I believe the 30VSW holds more line that the 50VSX. I want to fish BIG TUNA. Would it be more wise for me to have Cal tune my 30VSW or buy a 50VSX which, from what I have been exposed, is big fish ready right out of the box? I have been in communication with Cal, who as already done my 15KG. I was told that Cal can convert my 30VSW to BIG TUNA capable.

I do like the idea of my 30VSW being lighter. But I would rather have weight if it translates to withstanding battle with big tuna.

Thanks,

Tom

turboal

Tommy, i have a 30T that was done by Cal's ,It will take 100lb braid max.
It was blueprinted & converted into a 2spd. But when the fish get to big
i pull out the 50w it can handle the bigger ones. In the old days i used
a Penn 116 Senator,now that is a heavy reel.

Tommy_Tuna

turboal,

Can a 30VSW be blueprinted to fish 130lb line?

Thanks,

Tom

Roger

Tommy, I would give Cal a call and get it straight from the horses mouth.....

http://www.cals2speed.com/index.html
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

turboal

Tommy, Cal's ad reads
30T to 100lbs-------50T to 130lbs
Penn lists the 30VSW as 100lb braid ready,don't know what that means.
the new 50 series lists at 150lb braid

Tommy_Tuna

turboal & roger,

thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I think it's about time I started getting reel (real).  About the most I can make out of my 30VSW is a 100lb reel. The RRIII lists 100lb as minimum for big tuna. I am sure that 100lb line is more than sufficient for big tuna, but as I have learned from turboal, the drag on this reel might be lacking.  So I will keep my 30VSW. I will make it a 100lb reel. I will fish it for big tuna...as back up to a 50VSX that will be my next reel.  Like Obama, I can be a slow learner!

Happy Easter,

Tom

Roger

Tommy, there's two articles on 360 about two giant tuna caught in the last two days. One of them on a 16VSX, little reels can do the job. Good epuipment and a good catain are a must.....

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

turboal

Tommy, there have been some good deal on ebay for NEW
Penn 50VW and 50VSX REELS, nice prices from dealers that have overstocked
their stores and sales have been down.