Looking for rod blank recommendations?

Started by bigcatpat, October 14, 2013, 05:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatpat

I,m looking for some recommendations for a rod blank. I,m looking for a blank in the 12' range to throw 8oz+bait(usually around a 4-6 oz bait).I'll be using it for flathead catfishing in fresh water. I had a seeker 8'xxh jig and heavy bait made up a couple years back,but now i'm looking for something for a little longer range work.It's going to be a casting rod,it has to be 2 piece.I'm going to pair it up either with a JM 505HS i,m doing over now or else pick up an Avet JX for it.I'd prefer E glass composite if anyone knows of anything in that range.Thanks in advance!!!
Born to roam the riverbanks.

Jeri

Hi Pat,

As you are looking for 8oz+bait and something 12' long, I would suggest that you start going through some of the heavy options of surf rod – that is going to be the only avenue that you will find something that long to deal with such heavy casting loads.

Appreciate that some of the rivers you might be fishing have a fair current, which is a similar problem that we have with the seas that we fish – a solution that we have found, which helps avoid the problem of needing such a heavy sinker to hold the bait in position, is to use wired sinkers – and when we use these, we can get away with lighter sinkers. Sinkers of the style made and marketed by companies like Breakaway – or similar designs, where the wires set in the sea bed/ river bed, and hold the bait fast while fishing, but can be pulled to fold back and release, either on retrieving baits or when a fish strikes.

By going down that avenue, you will get more choice in rod blanks as you will then be only looking at 4-6oz style blanks, and the choice range will be much greater. We get the same sort of problem when we night fish for catfish, when camping on the banks of the Zambezi – the current is so strong, that normal sinkers just roll into the bank – so we bring a few wired sinkers and they hold the bait in the current just fine.

Another case of stealing ideas from a different branch of fishing to cure a problem miles from the sea. Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

VW

Are you committed to building this rod?  I would use one of these Shakespeare Ugly Stick Bigwater rods.

BWC1100 12'0 - Heavy  2-12 oz.

BWC1102 12'0" - X Heavy  6-24 oz.  I do think 24 oz. is a very "generous" rating, but it is somewhat heavier than the other.  I have this one and think it would work for you.

$75.00 at Bass Pro, maybe less if you live where Wal Mart carries saltwater tackle.  A good blank will cost that much, probably more.

Ron Jones

I really like the Penn Torque surf rods. I know they aren't rated at eight once, but they will handle it easy especially for a bait rig.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

I'm guessing you want something better than Ugly (decent blank, though & you can always strip & rebuild w/ better components):

1) there's always Lami: http://www.lamiglas.com/blank_indiv.php?groupid=25

2) check w/ this guy: http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum4/archive/index.php/t-39820.html  about his Kencor 12-13' blanks -- judging by price, I doubt they're Japanese, but the 13-footer may do...  if you could find a real Tenlew Magnaglass rod/blank that fits your specs, that would be SWEET

3) keep an eye on fleaBay -- some mighty nice glass pops up occasionally & it's often under-appreciated/unwanted (esp., casting)  ...aside from Surf, look through long, heavy Salmon rods -- you never know

4) research the heaviest Carp-specific rods -- those thing are 11-13' & made for chucking half a pound of feed along w/ 3-6 oz lead...  SOMEBODY(?) has to offer a casting model/blank

bigcatpat

Ron Jones

I've never seen the Lami big surf rod blanks. I like a lot. Seems like they are screaming to become slide rods.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

I caught a decent ray on a lami surf king and it handled beautifully
Grayson Lanier

philaroman

Quote from: noyb72 on October 15, 2013, 04:03:56 AM
I've never seen the Lami big surf rod blanks. I like a lot. Seems like they are screaming to become slide rods.
Ronald

well, they're 13'6" ONE-PIECE...  MAYBE THAT'S WHY THEY'RE SELDOM SEEN   :o :o :o

Ron Jones

If I could find one in Hawaii it would be my next purchase.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

WeSeekHer Rods

Have you looked at the Lamiglas SSU 144 2MH or GSB 144 2MH or SB 136 3M?  I don't work much with those types of rods as nobody has ordered one.

bigcatpat

I,m kinda leaning towards the lamiglas GSB144-2MH,12'-2 piece,it's rated for 6-16.Now I have to find someone to build it too.The last rod I had made(an 8' XXH seeker blank),I had done by Leland Shanks at Cherokee Rod Co.Can't find nothing on him no more,his old website is gone.Lost his email when I changed pc,s.

fishtaco

Buddy,  try a  penn squall 15  with  suffix  braid 832
say 40#  and set the magnet am the way
try an Okuma IM8  rod  that  set up can cast that  bait
to the other side of the lake, hehehe
good luck
Have a great day

WeSeekHer Rods

Quote from: bigcatpat on October 16, 2013, 05:48:02 AM
I,m kinda leaning towards the lamiglas GSB144-2MH,12'-2 piece,it's rated for 6-16.Now I have to find someone to build it too.The last rod I had made(an 8' XXH seeker blank),I had done by Leland Shanks at Cherokee Rod Co.Can't find nothing on him no more,his old website is gone.Lost his email when I changed pc,s.

Not sure what your time frame is, but I'm rather backed up.  I've not done surf rods before but heck its just a fishing rod.  For that matter if you have a thumb on each hand it is pretty easy to build a decent rod, just another alternative for ya

bigcatpat

Thanks for all the suggestions.I decided on the Lamiglas GSB1442MH=12' 6-16oz.I'm having it built by J+J Sports in Maryland.I'll post a pic in a couple months when it's finished up. :)