Circle Hooks on a Surface Iron Jig???

Started by sundaytrucka, October 14, 2013, 09:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I fish mainly with Tady, Salas, and old Iron Man surface/yo-yo jigs...Pondering lures last night, thinking about switching some stock treble hook jigs to a single "J" style hook, when the thought of, "Why have I never seen or heard of a circle hook on a jig?".

Just an idea in my head, but is there any reason a circle hook would work or not work on a surface iron jig, or even a yo-yo jig application?
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

BMITCH

I've been using 6/0 and 8/0 circles on my diamond jigs for bluefish and stripers for two years now. I feel there is a lower hook-up ratio with the circle hooks but really have any data to back this, it's just " a feeling". I can say for sure there is more hooks in the hinge of the jaw, what they are intended to do, then before. It really makes for a quick release with a pair of cutters or pliers. That being said, if it's not a wide open bite I tend to go back to the standard j hooks when it's just a pick.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

maxpowers

I am starting to add stinger or assist hook to the front of my jig and taking the treble hook off.  The reason is that fish can use the jig as a lever and pop the hook off.  The assist hook is connected to the swivel so there is no chance for the jig to pop off.  Next time I throw a surface iron I will try out the set up.  I know it worked much better on the yo yo for sure..

fishtaco

I use them circle hooks on jigs when fishing rocks
the circle prevents the jig from getting stuck at the rock pile
is also great for smaller jigs at the jetty's

cheers
Have a great day

Rare

I vertical jigs and sometimes yo-yo at the bottom for grouper. The reason that I wont use circle hooks is because with circle hook, the fish takes the bait and runs with it and hooks itself. If you try to set the hook with a j-hook you will instantly lose the fish. As we are vertical jigging we want that fast hook up & if yo-yo at the bottom its the same.

Nicko_Cairns

I use circles on knife jigs for vertical jigging, I think the hookup rate is pretty good so far.