Fenwick 789, 6'6" 15-50#, Very Fast Action

Started by sundaytrucka, October 15, 2013, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Looking to buy a rod blank similar to the old Fenwick 789 blank, found one for $30. Wanted to hear of any experience people may have with the rod, and what is the optimal pound line that should be used. Calstar and Seeker made a model based off the same blank, but not sure if they used the same model number or if they are even produced to date.

The 789 blank is rated at 15-50 (kind of weird), and I have heard varying comments the rod is best suited at 25, 30, and 40# line use.

Thanks, Scott.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Dynamo

Hello, I don't have experience with that particular model, but I found this online. Here's a quote!

If you like that blank, the closest thing to it is a Seeker. I think the number is CbW709. It's very fast, like the 789, and a wonderful 25# rod. If you want longer, you can get a cbw809. It's a little stiffer in the action as a composite but very close and fishes great.

Hope that helps! I love Fenwicks, but their line ratings are so strange. My IGFA 50 is more like a 60-100 in stiffness/backbone......

floating doc

Hey, I have one of those!  I don't think that I would use 50 on it but the rod likely has enough backbone to take it. I like it with 25.
Central Florida

sundaytrucka

Thank you for the replies guys. Unfortunately the seller disappeared on me, so it appears I will not be getting the rod blank. Oh well.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.