74' Evinrude 9.9 won't start

Started by jgp12000, March 24, 2024, 03:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

My 74' Evinrude 9.9 on my 14ft jon boat has been sitting for 18 months,and my Grandson wanted to take it out this past weekend. So I put 6 gallons of fresh non-ethanol gas and added the proper amount of oil 16oz,pumped up the bulb,a squirt of starter fluid,no start.I pulled the plugs,cleaned them,still no start.
My son-in-law said it wasn't getting fire last time he had it at their house (for 2 years) he put 2 new coils on it and it ran great.I haven't checked for a spark yet.I noticed some of the Amazon coils you have to plug the spark plug wire into the coil,any suggestions Gurus?

foakes

If you have spark —- it is not the coil.

Move to fuel issues.

Typically, when any gas engine has set for awhile —- there could be some varnished gas residue in the carb or jets.

On a 9.9 Evinrude —- take off the cover, then remove the metal plate from the front of the carb.  Now you can get to the drain (likely dried up, but good to check).

Spray some starting fluid in the butterfly choke.

If your spark plugs are not badly fouled it should start.

Then it can be adjusted for prime operation —- or sometimes just easier to install a new carb with the jets.  Not very expensive online.  Easy to do.

But try the clean-out first.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Check for spark on both plugs , check kill switch .    There is points and condensers under the flywheel that may need cleaning or replacement . 
  Lets here what you have so far as spark goes .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Already sort of mentioned, but sometimes when motors set unused, depending on where they've been stored, the points can get glazed over with a film that needs to be filed or sanded off before you will be able to get spark even though the coil/s is working. It happens on my tractor all the time after it's been sitting for a few months.

Those 9.9s are pretty simple to figure out. I've got a 76 9.9 Johnson.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I found a youtube on getting to the points with a bolt type wheel puller,I will check for spark 1st.I assume there is a kit to change to electronic ignition,maybe?

happyhooker

Mouse nest inside somewhere, even down in the carb.  And, yes, check the kill switch; wiring can go bad.

Frank