bearing packer (mm and inch), adaptor and needle kit - back in stock 7/23/2020

Started by alantani, April 07, 2010, 05:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i've had so many guys ask, that i finally had my friend make up a bunch of adaptors for those small grease guns.   

i also ordered a whole bunch of inflator needles and cut the tips off with my dremmel. 

an adaptor and 4-5 inflator needles will sell for $5 plus $3 for shipping included.  these needles make quick work of greasing screw holes.

i've also come to realize how vulnerable bearings are.  a bearing with a seal or a shield held in by a retaining ring can be opened up, hand packed with grease and then re-sealed or re-shielded.  if your bearing has a pressed-in metal shield. the only way to pack it with grease used to require that you remove one of the shields and press the grease in with your thumb.  when you're trying to service a half dozen lever drag reels in one afternoon, packing bearings with your thumbs gets really old.  that's where a bearing packer comes in handy.  i had tom make these as well.  he wanted to make them out of less expensive aluminum, but i said brass.  i just like the look! 

i've been using these for the last month and have been actually quite pleased with myself!  the bearing packer on the left is stepped ever sixteenth of an inch and will accomodate a 1/16ths inch ID to a 1-1/8ths inch OD.  the bearing packer on the right is stepped every millimeter from a 2mm ID to a 26mm OD.  these are designed to accomodate all of the bearings sizes commonly encountered in fishing reels.

the standard bearing packer has a ring and the metric bearing packer is plain.  both are tapped on top to 1/8th inch pipe thread and have a zerx fitting (which i do not particularly like).

the bearings really fit nicely!  i think this is much better than the flat cone that is more commonly seen.

the 1/8th inch pipe fitting is common for small grease guns available in the united states.  i prefer to bypass the zerx fitting all together and just bolt the bearing packer directly to the grease gun.  these bearing packers allow you to force grease into a bearing without removing the shield.  it is MUCH quicker.  i'm going to sell the bearing packers for $25 each.  so basically, i am selling a metric bearing packer, a standard inch bearing packer, a nozzle adaptor, and needles for $60 with US shipping.  that's the cost of 5 average shimano bearings!

now for the mea culpa.  i've been using this yamaha grease for a long time now and i purchase it from the local grady dealership.  they had the big cartridges, the small cartridges and the 1 pound cans at the beginning.  for the last few years, they've only had the large cartridges.  so i finally asked the guy, "so what's up?  why don't you carry the small 3 ounce cartridges or the 1 pound cans anymore?"  the answer surprised the hell out of me.  apparently the marine grease is only packed in 14 ounce cartridges.  the others are not marine grade.  they're still blue, but they're intended for motorcycles and snow mobiles!!!!!! 

the greases are both the same, except that the marine grease has an additive that makes it salt water resistant. 

if you want a 3 ounce cartridge of yamaha marine, you have to take an old paper cartridge of any old grease, clean it out really well and then hand pack it with the grease from the 14 ounce cartridge.  trust me, it's a real mess.  your other option is this stuff.  this is evinrude-johnson's marine grease.  it's a little thicker and alot more tackier than the yamaha product, but you have none of the mess. 

here's what they look like side by side.  either way, they will both work fine.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigT

Alan,

Thank you for the bearing packers... I can't believe how quickly I can get great stuff from California to Australia.

The machining is a sight to behold... what a nifty idea and great result :D

I love the internet, PayPal and alantani.com ;D

Thanks, BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

alantani

you're welcomed!  luckily your envelope did not tear.  poor peter in london got nothing but an empty envelope.  i put them in boxes from now on.  alan

Brendan

Alan,

I got to try the bearing packers today, I grabbed a Penn GLS out of my reel stash and ripped into it armed with marine grade grease, Shimano drag grease, and Xtreme Reel + bearing oil. That reel is working as well or better than any of my newer favorites. I had a peanut gallery in my garage watching me with doubt as I set up the bearing packer. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I let a friend check a gear bearing before and after and everyone was impressed.
Thank You, Brendan.

alantani

brendan, you're welcomed.  that bearing packer should pay for itself with the first two reels. 

aaron, yes, that is the new tube design.  i have two in the garage that i need to find.  bryan, help!!!!!

Black Widow Tackle

Thanks Alan for the bearing packer and the grease!!!!  Now when you are ready to purchase a phenix rod just let me know I am heading to the rod building expo and will be placing and order.  And YES there will be a discount for all forum users, just have to figure what combination I am going to use.  Thanks, Andrew

alantani

i am headed down to the fred hall show and will play with the rods then.  i figure i need six.  can you post pictures and specs in the for sale section and or the rod section?  thanks!  alan

Nessie Hunter

Just wanted to let you know that one of my customers bought 1 of the A&N KITs and sent it to me..

WOW how awesome is that !!! Thanks "O" of Mobil Medics!!!!!

This Kit is super neat, cant wait to try it out....    ;D

No more Finger Jive, ~ Wham Bam thank you ...   LOL
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Alan, I received the bearing packers and the check has been sent. Awesome pieces and at a good price, the craftsmanship is exquisite, can't wait to try them. Knowing that your machinist can come up with such a piece, there's no limitation on anything else. You should design your own reel "the AT reel", I'm sure he would be able to fallow your specs. Just in case that does happen, count me in for one, but try not to make it too costly ;D
Thank you for a great item and excellent service!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Alan, I just got done using the bearing packer. I wanted to see if it would pack the bearings with the pressed in shields, when I was done, I removed the shield and the bearing was packed nicely with new grease. Very nice Alan, this is going to be sweet to use. Thanks again, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Alan, I have a gun similar to the one you're showing with the yamalube sticker, I would like to keep that one for the bearing packer. It would be nice to have another gun like the one you're showing below, with the trigger in front for everything else. I can't seem to find it around here, could you let me know where you got yours from? Thanks, Sal

ReelSpeed

Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

broadway

Alto Mare

Quote from: ReelSpeed on June 09, 2011, 12:54:46 PM
sal, check out mcmastercarr.com they should have all this stuff.
Thanks for the info Aaron, I thought you were going to make a few custom guns for us ;D ;D
Quote from: broadway on June 09, 2011, 04:51:23 PM
Sal,

Got mine from amazon for $13
Dom
Thanks Dom, looks like you always know were to get a good deal. ;)