Where best to spend the money?

Started by T Rad, October 24, 2013, 01:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Rad

Folks, I need an educated (?) opinion. I have a few very old reels that I fish with all the time for large mouth, cats, and white bass. All three are 70's or very early 80's vintage, one 5000, a 5000C, and a 5000D. All have the spool adjustments on both sides, minor boat rash, and fish fine. There are also a newer 5000C, 5000AL, V5000 with no spool, and a ONE 5000. I am partial to the older reels even though they weigh a ton. I've been fishing them since high school and college, (we won't talk about when that was but Tricky Dick was trying to convince people, "I am not a crook!" Most of the reels were acquired as gifts for working on reels for other people. All are in good working order except the V5000 that needs a spool, likely the ultra-cast type. There's also an old Daiwa Sealine, the remains of a BCX (what a dog), and a newer ABU 7000i.

I am retiring from teaching chemistry and physics at Christmas an I want to put a little money into putting together a good set of three or four outfits for crank-bait, worm, and bass jig fishing. I have been doing just fine with the old reels and old Ugly Stiks, (also from the 70's). Retired school teachers don't make much money so I want to get the most bang for the buck. I don't fish tournaments, just want to relax and enjoy with the smoothest, best casting rigs I can. I understand about adding bearings and perhaps dual bearing level winds and all that but where is the best investment? I'm just an old school teacher with a jonboat and a ten horse Merc looking to relax in fine fashion!

I love the board. Folks are friendly and helpful to newbies and it is a great service to to help the old reels live forever! T RAD
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

Bryan Young

The best upgrade for all reels is a good drag system.  If you have not already upgraded your reels with greased (Cal's thin CF grease) carbontex carbon fiber drags, then that is the best bang for your buck.  Next is to open up your spool bearings and clean them out of the grease and oils with carb cleaner or the like and lube them with your favorite thin lubricant (I love TSI 301 myself), and you should be good to go.  I've worked on and casted reels with bearings on the line winder worm gear and the nylon bushing are just fine in my opinion.  Those reels are awesome and simple.  There is no need to really modify them in my humble opinion.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

T Rad

Thanks, Bryan! They get a good cleaning out fairly regularly. Drags will be first on my list. The oldest ones just seem to get smoother and better with age. I wish I could say the same for myself! A little colorectal cancer and diabetes, not to mention being just plain homely, works wonders for your attitude!
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell