GEAR RATIO SELECTION

Started by LTM, October 25, 2013, 07:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hey all,

Posted this question in the Penn section and realize I should have posted here. I have a Penn 113H (standard size not narrow) that I would like to use for trolling with 60/80# and do some bottom fishing with?  I would like to install a ss gear set in this particular reel. I dont know if ss gears are available for the standard gear ratio (approx 3.2:1), however I can get 4:! gears.  Question: What gear ratio should I choose, will 4:! be too much for what I want to do?

Thanx,

Leo

Dynamo

FOr trolling and bottom fishing, I'd go low. The standard ratio should work great ;). I know the new 4/0's come w. SS pinions, but I don't know of a standard SS set, I'm afraid.

Bunnlevel Sharker

The4:1 is not a whole lot faster, it will be fine. It's only an extra 3/4 spool turn. There a steel 3:25.1 man gears that were produced a while ago. And SS ones in the a aniversary reels
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

It's only an extra 3/4 spool turn.

The 4:1 may not be a whole lot faster, but its still harder to turn the handle when winching up a nice grouper, or something of that nature. If Im bottom fishing, I go as low as I can. He could use the 4:1 gears, but the standard ratio would, I believe, be better suited to the task.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

get Lee's power arm for the 4/0 will work perfectly with 4:1 ratio. if you need it faster just turn that handle like you'll lose the fish.   ;) ;D

Keta

I have 113s in 4:1, 3.25:1 (both 113H narrow), 2:1 (113) and an almost finished 2.5:1 (113/66 hybrid narrow using a 66 spool, bridge and gears);D.  I have used the stock 3.25:1 and my Newell geared  4:1 for pacific halibut and don't have problems cranking them up....I do have slightly longer handle arms on all of these reels.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Dynamo

Keta, is the 113h a bushing reel? Sweet handles. Back to the question: yes, there probably isn't much of a difference, but he did ask which is better.

"What gear ratio should I choose"

So in short, the answer is that both would work fine, but the standard ratio would be easier, not by much, but still easier. Am I wrong?

Keta

Bearings.

I don't notice much difference in effort but it takes less time to reel in 4lb sinkers from 700' with the 4:1 gears.  I wouldn't use anything much higher than 4:1 for Pacific halibut even with the longer handles.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Lee/guys,

Thanx guys for your help. I was thinking of 4:1 if I could find a longer arm/handle.  Im 6'-2" with short arms; Lee can you help me out on this? I need longer arms!

Leo

Keta

Now that I've figured out what works I can make you an arm for your reels almost any length, your arms I can't help ;D.  Hopefully the cutter will get my latest order done on Monday, if you let me know what you want I'll draw it up and get it to him early Monday morning.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

The longer handles don't feel right to me when using the reel ( but we're not all the same :-\), I could get away with it, but would rather have these dimensions......if possible:
Jigmaster .......4"
4/0............... 4 1/2"
6/0................5"
10/0 to 16/0...5 1/2"
Thickness needs to be more than 1/8" on the smaller ones, I would just keep them all of the same in thickness, but wouldn't go over 3/16", the handle nut won't sit right.

This is based on installing the handle in the center hole.
Dimensions above are tip to tip.

1/8" would be nice, but needs to be hardened.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 26, 2013, 05:27:59 AM

SS is hard to temper,  I found a source for small sheets of tempered material but the price is higher than I like.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on October 26, 2013, 12:41:32 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on October 26, 2013, 05:27:59 AM

SS is hard to temper,  I found a source for small sheets of tempered material but the price is higher than I like.
Don't have to go that way, if you trim all by 1/2" in length as we discussed earlier and make them as thick as the one you sent me for the 6/0, they will last forever.
I believe the thickness was 3/16", I checked and they should work on all the reels...thickness wise.
the shoulder on the sleeves is the same from the smaller penns to the 4/0 and it increases by 1/16" from the 6/0 and up.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

They were .188".  What I need is 11.5ga, 11ga is .120", 10ga is .0188"  I found some that hasn't been annealed in .135" but $150 for a 12"x24" piece is a lot of $ for me.

Mark Twain