910 Sears,Roebuck

Started by Alto Mare, October 27, 2013, 05:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Here is another reel from My friend's bucket.
The simplicity in this reel is amazing and yet built like a tank, here are a couple of shots:

This reel is very close in size to the Penn 9500SS, but it's a little lighter

here are the drags, the configuration is very similar to conventional reels, having the spring washer on the stack shouldn't give too much pressure on the knob itself

Here is a shot of the guts, very simple. No screws on the shaft just a pin that pulls right out

nice stainless steel pinion

besides customizing the carbon fiber washers, this reel took me less than five minutes to service

This reel is very smooth, no bearings anywhere, I bet it could be fished while under water.
I'm always impressed with these vintage reels
enjoy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Another great find! You will have to build another reel cabinet if you keep taking in strays! ;)
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

My collection would benifit from that ;) I need one for yak fishin for kings and pitch baits
Grayson Lanier

Cone

Nice Sal! I wonder who manufactured this reel for Sears?
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on October 28, 2013, 04:12:32 AM
Nice Sal! I wonder who manufactured this reel for Sears?
Bob
Bob, I have no idea who made it.
I know it was engineered and developed in California and manufactured in Japan.
According to some additional research that I've done, this reel might be from 41/42.
I could see these would have knocked reel repair shops out of business if still available today.
This reel is much smoother than my 9500SS, the bail snaps better than anything I have.
It's just a very well made reel.
I will fish this one , just to see how it handles. It's a large reel, but only 1 1/4 lbs in weight.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

conchydong

Very cool reel. I bet it was even Ted Williams approved.

Bryan Young

Wow, that reel looks like it can handle a monster.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D