This is what our C G is up to on L I

Started by bluefish69, October 28, 2013, 02:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Yes this is from another site. Please scrool down I'm not too good with the Computer

Home

Forums

Fishing Reports

Gallery

Feature Articles

Videos

Tides & Weather

Register

Advertisers

Chat Room

Fishing Links

Moderator Bios

Contact Us

Advanced search

Board index‹ COMMUNITY FORUMS ‹ PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM
Change font size
E-mail friend
User Control Panel (0 new messages) • View your posts
FAQ
Members
  Photo Gallery
Logout [ bluefish69 ]

OCT 27, 2013 - WELL IT HAPPENED - 47' COAST GUARD BOAT DOING STRIPED BASS FISHERY ENFORCEMENT IN THE EEZ CRASHES INTO AND CAUSES DAMAGE TO A CHARTER BOAT IN THE NY BIGHT

Post a reply

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

OCT 27, 2013 - WELL IT HAPPENED - 47' COAST GUARD BOAT DOING STRIPED BASS FISHERY ENFORCEMENT IN THE EEZ CRASHES INTO AND CAUSES DAMAGE TO A CHARTER BOAT IN THE NY BIGHT

by EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:57 pm

I just could not believe the story I just heard from one of the charter captains I personally know who had this happen on day 2, Sunday, of extra-vigilant striped bass enforcement in the EEZ.

As I was told, conditions were extremely nautical while he was black fishing with some customers on board. A few fly overs by C-130, followed by fly overs with the bright orange helo with the big photographic camera in tow. Then a 47' foot USCG boat came out to them to conduct a boarding in the rolling seas.

After a few initial failed attempts of SAFELY allowing two USCG crew members to board, a boating accident occurred where the bow of the 47' plowed into the stainless one piece bow railing, forcibly pulling out and damaging it while also detaching a section from the glass deck.

Due to the unsafe boarding conditions at this time, both crew members only were able to conduct a visual fishery enforcement inspection of the vessel, where as the captain/owner & operator had stated, they only have blackfish in their possession in the EEZ.

At this point I will leave the rest for this captain to comment on when he has a chance, but needless to say, both USCG crew members on board this vessel, then took the trip back into the inlet where they both then safely boarded back onto the 47' USCG vessel.

EC NEWELL MANS -

help@fishingunited.com

OR

Direct Email for EC NEWELL MAN

EC NEWELLMAN Posts: 8067Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:46 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: OCT 27, 2013 - WELL IT HAPPENED - 47' COAST GUARD BOAT DOING STRIPED BASS FISHERY ENFORCEMENT IN THE EEZ CRASHES INTO AND CAUSES DAMAGE TO A CHARTER BOAT IN THE NY BIGHT

by CapAp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Sounds like poor boat handling and poor decisions were made by who ever was steering in MO.
CapAp Posts: 13Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:58 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: OCT 27, 2013 - WELL IT HAPPENED - 47' COAST GUARD BOAT DOING STRIPED BASS FISHERY ENFORCEMENT IN THE EEZ CRASHES INTO AND CAUSES DAMAGE TO A CHARTER BOAT IN THE NY BIGHT

by captjoekingcod » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Unacceptable on the part of the CG...

Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404
www.kingcodfishing.com

captjoekingcod Posts: 1866Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:14 amLocation: Moriches N.Y.

by BingoRB » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm

This is the second boarding I have heard of this weekend. I witnessed the other yesterday in similar conditions. I could not believe they were putting someone on the boat in the current sea state. What boggles me is the amount of money that is being spent betwen planes, helicopters, boats, etc. and in both cases they targeted boats that were anchored up blackfishing! You would think they would do some homework as to where to look, how a boat would be fishing for the bass (i.e. on the drift and jigging), etc. so they at least know who to go after.

Bingo Fishing Charters
631-495-1786
Capt. Roger Bing
USCG 100 Ton Master
USCG 3rd Asst. Engineer Unlimited Horsepower
www.bingo-fishing.com
BingoRB Posts: 265Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:42 pm

by captainjp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Roger, that's part of the problem, you have people who don't even know how you fish for striped bass trying to enforce the regulations on them, besides putting their own lives and the lives on the charter boat at risk. Doesn't seem to make sense. I had a coast guard boarding one winter in Mtk and I had to explain to the gentlemen that his information on the regulations was wrong, he was telling me that I wasn't following the minimum size of 24", I tried to explain to him that the letters GOM in front of the size regulations he was telling me I wasn't following was well to the north of the Block Island grounds, after calling back to the cutter he finally admitted he was wrong and left with some dignity left.

captainjp Posts: 116Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:37 pmLocation: Port Jefferson

Display posts from previous: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 yearSort by AuthorPost timeSubject AscendingDescending

Post a reply

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM

Jump to:Select a forum------------------MAIN FORUMS   ANNOUNCEMENTS   MEMBERS WELCOME FORUM   REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE   GROUP CHARTER ARRANGEMENT BOARD   ADVERTISERS & SPONSORS ANNOUNCEMENTS-TRIP BOARDCOMMUNITY FORUMS   GENERAL FISHING FORUM   COMMERCIAL FISHING FORUM   WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL   WOMEN'S FISHING FORUM   PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM   OFFSHORE FISHING FORUM   SURF FORUM   KIDS FISHING FORUM   FRESHWATER FISHING FORUM   BOATS/BOATING/ELECTRONICS FORUM   BUY-SELL & TRADE   HOOK'EM & COOK'EM   FISHING TACKLE A-Z   KAYAK / SKINNY WATER FISHING FORUM   'SLACK WATER' BOARD   FIELD REPORTS BOARD   ECs WHEELHOUSE - 'SPIN ZONE'   FISHING NEWS LINKS & BACK IN THE DAY STORIES & MARITIME IMAGES   MEMBERS ONLY FORUM