Everol 14/0

Started by Shark Hunter, November 04, 2013, 07:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I just want to get into the ten foot club. It will come. ;)
Life is Good!

broadway

Daron,
   You have come so far in such a short period of time. Tinkering with an everol is no joke! The parts are so precise there are no 2 ways to get it done like with a Penn reel. Now, I know you don't need a 20/0 being that you already have enough fire power in the 18/0, but I agree, you deserve that reel! I'll have my eye out for ya😉
Can't wait to see your 10'+
Dom

Shark Hunter

Spooled the Godfather up last night. Held probably 900 yards of 200lb mono.
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 23, 2015, 08:47:50 PM
Spooled the Godfather up last night. Held probably 900 yards of 200lb mono.

Holy mackerel, Mr. Shark, half a mile of 200-lb test!!  :o   :P

How long did it take you to spool up? And what's the total weight now of reel plus line?   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

"But I didn't know until this day, that it was [Daron]zini all along."  Don Corleone   :D Don Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

;D
Probably an hour Aiala. I took several breaks.
I haven't weighed it, but I will.
Life is Good!

gstours

Dats a big big reel boy!  and very ample i,m sure to catch whatever you can hold on to before finally giving up.
   Maybe you can save energy by having a helper carry it to the fishin spot?   ha ha.  that way you will be fresh when the line starts rippin off!

But all due respect aside mr. sharkee,  dont think the line will be spooled on all nice n level when the angry one bites and finally gets shallow and in the sand.  Im afraid the line might pile up somewhere on the spool and prevent you from the last part of gaining line when you are in need of a drink more than ever?     I might be wrong and am mostly,  but its food for thought.       
Like I said with all due respect,  your little buddy gst.

Penn Chronology

Daron,

I have a need to see the first fish you land on that reel. You are going to be only living example of the """Pot and Pans""" of the Gulf of Mexico.

The next front page photo may be you holding your new Everol rig:::::

Shark Hunter

I will tell you one thing Mike. The first fish I land with the Godfather will swim off in a lot better condition that the Pot's and Pan's Version. ;)
Aiala,
I went to get the bathroom scale to weigh the 18/0 and it was gone. I asked the wife where it went.
She said she got rid of it a long time ago.
My best guess is 15 lbs fully spooled.
It feels lighter than my 14/0 spooled full of 130.
That thing is a cinder block.
Gary,
That spool looks pretty full but after reeling it in with more tension, I should have more room.
My hands are only so strong to keep that line tight reeling it on.
My reel spooler is me, a pair of gloves and a broomstick in a chair to hold the line. :P
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI will tell you one thing Mike. The first fish I land with the Godfather will swim off in a lot better condition that the Pot's and Pan's Version. Wink

Oh, I am sure it will. Those were very different days. I just want a picture, not a carcass.  :(

Lowprofile

Daron do you know what grease they use at the factory? They seem good to go out of the box but I still want to add some grease here and there and would prefers not to mix them. I might just strip the whole thing.

Got my 14/0 spooled up. 1200 yrds 200lb JB and 480yrda 210lb mono (1.38mm ) . It took FOREVER! I taped my handle and it took some of the wear off my hand.

When you decide to give your a braid backing I'll send you a spool of mono to top it off 170. 210, 250 or 300lb.

gstours

Hello , and ya its a pretty blue, reminds me of the wifes Avet, and hopes yours is as lucky!    But what is the twin loops on a kind of round snap ring thingee for?  on the crankside?   Just wondered.   Anyway I hope you get many long battles with this masterpiece!

Lowprofile

Quote from: gstours on December 13, 2015, 05:03:33 AM
Hello , and ya its a pretty blue, reminds me of the wifes Avet, and hopes yours is as lucky!    But what is the twin loops on a kind of round snap ring thingee for?  on the crankside?   Just wondered.   Anyway I hope you get many long battles with this masterpiece!

Drag limiter. You can set it so if you let someone take the rod they don't push the drag too far. I set it at that setting for storage. Always store with the drag disengaged, that's just to prevent it from getting knocked forward. Takes 2 seconds to adjust the limited and only one finger.

Shark Hunter

Wow Chris!
That Blue sure is gorgeous! :P
I've never opened my 14/0, but my 18/0 was pretty dry. It looked like some type of white lithium that was in there, but not much of it. I used penn blue, especially on the gears, because they were pretty much dry.
I took a different route and went with straight 200 lb on my 18/0.
I want to get it over quick as possible and get him swimming again.
You might want to try their ergo grip. Its pretty nice compared to the stock handle.
Life is Good!

Lowprofile

took a peak inside. greased the metal on metal conections as I reassembled it and put some cals on the drag. just enough to cover the drag and then rubbed it in and wiped all the excess off and left it looking almost dry, but there's some in there.

this is taking it apart. didn't take pics of the left side. ill do that next time.

double sided drag disc

removed the stainless disc

all the springs. and of course I knocked the reel after this and they all went flying on the floor. wife and friend laughed at me for a good 20 minutes.

took the spool out and the two bearings on the other side (spool and thrust) were already greased. seems there is some kind of corrosion protectant on the metal surfaces already but I hit the seams with grease anyways and greased all the screws. the base (reel foot) was already greased and locktight on the screws.