Shimano Calais CL200 Rebuild - 3/18/2010 from DImpala95 !!!!!!

Started by alantani, April 14, 2010, 10:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: DImpala95 link=1269038985/0#0 date=1269038985Well, here's my first try at a reel service tutorial. A buddy is Jonesin for a possible 2010 salmon season so he asked if I could go through and service/upgrade his reel.

Shimano Calais CL200

Start by unscrewing the side plate cover

Swing it forward

Pull out the spool

Nothing to service on the spool

Spool shaft

Spool brakes

Next is to remove the side cover. You need to remove an "E" clip on the side cover shaft. Be careful as these clips seem to jump like a flea.

Once the "E" clip is off, slide the side cover out from the frame. Here are the parts that you'll find.

Side plate spool bearing

Remove the retaining clip and pull out the bearing

It measures at 3x10x4 mm and was still good albeit dry. We're going to replace it will a ceramic/stainless hybrid bearing lubed with Extreme Reel + for extra distance.

Now you need to remove the top and front covers.

There are 4 screws for the top cover. The 2 above the brass pinion gear, one at the 4 o'clock position and one on the left side of the frame at the rear(right side of picture).

Don't mix them up. The screws at 11 o'clock and at the back of the frame are shorter than the 2 others.

Remove the screw on the underside of the front cover

and the two under the cover on the spool side

Lift the top cover off then pull the front cover forward

The handle needs to come off now. Remove the two handle screws located on the underside of the handle

The handle also serves as a main shaft nut retainer

Remove the 10mm nut and the star, drag adjusting nut, shims, bellvilles all come out. There is also a main shaft bearing 8x12.25x3.50mm

Viola! Here's all the goodies under the handle side cover

Pull off the main gear

This reel has the Dartanum drag and a fiber washer under the gear. These will be replaced with greased Carbontex washers from www.Smoothdrag.com. They're the same as the Curado 100D.

Remove the pinion and yoke as one unit

Remove the main shaft by unscrewing the two screws holding the retaining bracket. Carefully remove the "E" clip and grease the main shaft bearing 5x8x2.50 mm.

Remove the pinion bearing retainer and the pinion disengagement assembly

The pinion bearing measures 8x12.25x3.50mm

Remove the level wind worm gear assembly

The worm gear bearing measures 5x8x2.50mm

Now you have a bare frame

Since this reel is used in brackish water we'll remove the shield retainers and shields, grease the bearings and replace the shields and retainers. A light coat of grease will also be applied to all interior surfaces of the frame(magnesium) and covers to combat salt corrosion.

As I said earlier, the spool bearings were changed out for ceramic hybrids and lubed with Extreme Reel +.

Re-assembly is simply reversing the disassembly process.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dhs07

This tutorial is great!

I'm an avid fisherman. Recently, I was fishing the bottom and hooked a rod/reel (fuji rod with a shimano cl200a). I used this tutorial along with the schematics. When I opened the reel up it was very dirty. I cleaned it all up, used marine grease on all the bearings, and a reel lubricant on all the moving parts. Once I got it all back together it's very smooth. There is one problem I ran into though. I didn't have the star drag set tight, and noticed that there is no anti-reverse. In other words, I'm able to reel both forward and backwards. When I tightened the star drag, reeling forward (how you regularly reel) became harder, but reeling backwards is still smooth. I'm thinking I put something on backwards?? If anyone can help with the problem I'd really appreciate it.

I tried uploading some pictures but it won't work

alantani

check the postion of the inner tube for the anti-reverse roller bearing.  or just replace the AR bearing and inner tube altogether.  nice find!

dhs07

That was the exact problem....it's working fine now! I really appreciate the help... I just finished throwing with it and it's definitely changed my opinion on baitcast reels.

Dklla

Just wanted to let you know that this tutorial was very helpful. Thanks

wallacewt

are magnesium reels  fresh water only.i read somewhere salt plays havoc

inhotpursuit

Quote from: wallacewt on November 27, 2011, 05:31:07 AM
are magnesium reels  fresh water only.i read somewhere salt plays havoc
i use my Antares dc in brackish water and never had a problem  its 4 years old and in mint condition i just clean it every time i use it in salt,all the internals have a light coat of grease , Salt plays havoc on all reels just clean them with dish soap and rinse them good after each use in salt

toddt007

I just joined this forum to thank the guy that posted this. I had a calais laying around that I didn't know how to put back together! I do now!!! Thanks man!!! 

Todd

alantani

got some great guys helping out here!  oh, and welcome!!!!!!!

jiggyjig

Great tutorial Dimpala 95 - Thank You  ;D
I thought I knew my way around reels in general - but this one had me baffled, and with the tutorial I would have been snookered.
Even with the guide I found some of the screws ridiculously small and inaccessible - having carrots for fingers doesn't help! ;) Cheers JJ

beacherman

Just started to upgrade the drag washers on my Calais CL201A using this tutorial. Because of limited access, I can't remove the three screws on the front cover...one on the underside and the other two screws underneath and forward of the top cover. any suggestions?
Number One Rule; "Fish Where There are Fish"

beacherman

Answered my own question. Found a #0 Phillips in my tool box. The diameter of the shaft fit perfect through an access hole to get to that pesky screw. Reel upgrade is complete and on to my next reel... well, after I go fishing, that is.
Number One Rule; "Fish Where There are Fish"

Slazmo

All clips / e clips and bearing shield clips should be opened while in a clear plastic bag - any clips that go flying are enclosed and easy to find.

Have been doing this for years and haven't lost any parts to date.

Zimbass

Photo's been gone for a while.

If you need, you can access a detailed photo breakdown at this site.

http://www.2coolfishing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253235

Cheers.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.