320gti/320gt2/321gti

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

My advice is to replace the whole levelwind assembly on your reel.
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

that would work, but we might be able to save this guy $20.  i see no damage to the worm or pawl.  this teflon dot trick just might work!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

Or replace the shield only. That part is badly mismachined.
In solid fiberglass we trust

zkidd91

Quote from: alantani on August 16, 2013, 10:04:40 PM
levi, at the very best, a .010" teflon dot can shim the pawl and take care of this.  at the very worst, you will need a dot and also have to replace everything.  send me an e-mail with your address and i will send out some dots.  if they work, you are done.  if not, contact mysticparts.com for a new levelwind assembly.  
Just got it in the mail. Thank you. You are a gentlemen and a scholar. Probably won't get to it for a week or so. Last week of vacation with the lil ones so we are out and about.

Quote from: Tile on August 17, 2013, 02:16:26 PM
My advice is to replace the whole levelwind assembly on your reel.
Yessir. This is what Penn recommended as well....it will be fun to see if the dots work. We shall see.

CaptKev

I've got 6 320gti's I'm rebuilding for a buddy. These have never been serviced and are in poor shape. The main and pinion gears were toasted so I bought what my local shop had on hand and some NOS off of Ebay. I'm guessing the newer overseas GT2 gears are not interchangeable with US made NOS? Lesson learned! On the 2 reels I've serviced, I can't get them back to factory smooth so I'm thinking the mains are toasted. I removed one to clean and lube. The other one I left in place and removed the shield. While they are smoother than before which was horrible, but I'm not happy. I have yet to evaluate the worm gears, but I suspect at least 3 of the 6 need new ones.   

1) Does anyone have the LH side plate spool bearing dimensions? Anyone have any to sell?

2) Anyone have 4 main bearings they would part with?

It's that time of year where it's too cold the garage, but reels must be serviced.

Thanks in advance, Kevin 

alantani

the left side plate is 4x11x4 and the bridge bearing 8x16x5.  dawn at smoothdrag has them.  if you need the teflon dots to shim the levelwind pawl, let me know. 

CaptKev

Thanks Alan.

Teflon dots? Guess I need to read this entire thread.

jetboat69

Alan
I have been reading you're posts and comments for several years on other forums and the information has been great.
I am primarily a fly fisherman and my fly reels are pretty simple and old school compared to the complex reels on this forum.
I covet the likes of Olsons,  Hardy's, Bogens and all bench made reels. I do have times when I fish with conventional gear and most of it is in need of TLC. I troll for salmon in Puget sound and I'm trying to service my wife's Penn GGTi 321 using you'r tutorial.
My question is you mention replacing the 6-320 drag washers with those from a 113. My reel also has a plastic click tongue 35-310N and the photo in your tutorial shows a metal one.
Can I get a metal part to replace the fiber one?
Can you direct me to a parts supplier or can I just purchase the needed  parts them from you.
I would appreciate all and any help as my next plan is to do my Shimano Charter Special.
Thanks

alantani

for the 320, i would replace the drag washer under the main gear with a $2 carbontex drag. i would also put a teflon "dot" under the levelwind pawl.  i can mail them to you if you wish.  send a pm with your address.  also grease the other 5 drag washers. 

jetboat69

Thanks Alan!
How do you want me to pay you for them and how much do I owe you? I will forward payment to you as soon I know.
If there is anything I would need to service a "Shimano Charter Special 2000" please let me know so I can add it on.
Thanks for all the help!
My address is:

alantani

for the charter special, there is a carbontex drag washer.  i can include one, ship it out and send a paypal request.  you have a pm.  thanks!   ;D

DanteV

Alan, just wanted to thank you for these write-ups, they gave me the inspiration to tear these apart and the more reels I do, the deeper it gets.. nothing beats a reel that's been tuned right, and I pulled the level wind off of my 320 lever drag and added the handle upgrade. Picture shown is a mess of line resulting from a broken pawl. Buh bye levelwind!

alantani

dante, i will send out some of those teflon dots. 

DanteV

That would be great Alan! I saved all the parts in case I put the levelwind back in.

DanteV

Got the teflon dots, thanks Alan! The bearing packer works great too!