320gti/320gt2/321gti

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

time for you to open up a reel repair shop!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DanteV

Haha! Not this guy.. I'm just following the Doctor's advice!

yelloweye

On one of my 321's, the screws holding the handle side plate (left side on the 321) are stripping out the graphite frame holes.  Does anyone have a solution to stripped holes? Some kind of heli-coil?  Does anyone have a solution to keep them from stripping in the first place?  I've noticed that occasionally you can see pieces of the graphite threads coming out on the screws as you remove them. I've been using the Yamaha grease as I service them.  But I don't know if that is helpful or harmful.  Thanks in advance.

alantani

copper sheet from a local hobby shop.  cut a strip as long and as wide as the screw hole and shove it in, followed by the screw.  i have found that the aluminum from soda cans is too soft. 

Ken_D

Quote from: alantani on August 16, 2013, 10:04:40 PM
levi, at the very best, a .010" teflon dot can shim the pawl and take care of this.  at the very worst, you will need a dot and also have to replace everything.  send me an e-mail with your address and i will send out some dots.  if they work, you are done.  if not, contact mysticparts.com for a new levelwind assembly.  

An alternate to a dot is a bit, cut out of a pop or beer can. The aluminum is soft, cuttable. I found this out, when one day I ran out of 330 line pawls, and only had 340/345 pawls. Which are shorter than 330 pawls. Enter the scissors, and the drink can. Worked pretty good. I made a square that fit into the pawl keeper.

yelloweye

Thanks Alan.  Are you shaping the strip any, or just force it to the side with the screw?

alantani

steelfish

""" the teeth on the main and pinion gears of the penn 113h (right side) are much larger than the teeth of the main and pinion gears of the penn 320 gti (left side).  the smaller teeth of the 320 main gear will shred much easily than the heaver teeth of the 113h main gear. ""

ok, this might be a dumb question but.. since the drag washers are the same size and diameter, I can only imagine the main gear are same size too.
and since 113h main drag and pinion are more robust than the ones on the 320gti, have anyone tried to install some 113h gears on the smaller sibling?

it would be a nice new breed of 320gt, stronger and more torquier.. I will be looking for some 4/0 113h old reel on the flea markets to try out, unless Alan or other reel guru already tried that with no luck
The Baja Guy

akfish

You can't replace 320 gears with 113H gears. The main gears are not exactly the same height, but more importantly, the inside diameters of the pinion gears are different. From my experience, the drag on the 320 is over built to begin with: If you push a 320 drag as much as is possible, the plastic frame will torque: Good bye level wind and good by gears...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

yeah. too bad you can't.  that would have been a cheap way to upgrade the 113h to a 4:1 gear ratio!

steelfish

Quote from: akfish on January 20, 2015, 12:10:31 AM
but more importantly, the inside diameters of the pinion gears are different.

dang!! I really forgot about inside diameter of the pinion.

well, somehow I knew and I was just waiting for these answers to appear.
thanks Akfish and thanks Alan.

Im still afraid of opening my 320gt from my last trolling fishing trip, where a big and fat sea Lion took my spanish mack and run like mad train, ate the fish and managed to hook itself on the tail, man!!! was like fighting a mad bull on steroids, my 320gt had no chance, even with the drag really tight (not all locked out), all the handle side plate got hot and the reel was just screaming ZZZZZZZzzzzz, my capt. followed the sealion until have it aprox to 30ft and then I cut the line.
so far, the reel is still with terrific feel spool so, no damage on the spool, and with the drag bit of loose it let the line go freely smooth, I hope the only damage on the reel is the need for new carbontex drags.

good news is that my new strongest reel is a fathom 40, and this 320gt will be my wife's reel.
I dont see the fathom having a chance with the same sealion, tho.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on February 27, 2014, 01:31:14 AM
for the 320, i would replace the drag washer under the main gear with a $2 carbontex drag. i would also put a teflon "dot" under the levelwind pawl.  i can mail them to you if you wish.  send a pm with your address.  also grease the other 5 drag washers. 

Alan, how many teflon dots are needed to shim the levelwind pawl correctly?

mine is still working good and no signs of ever fail on the rails, so one is enough just to keep it that way?

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Linesiders

So I stripped down a 320 today, put in new drags, greased everything and followed the tutorial. Everything seems to be working correctly, however, the handle is a little harder to turn then it should be. Any suggestions to correct this?