320gti/320gt2/321gti

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

It's possible that the top eared washer is not properly seated in the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Linesiders

I'll double check that, thanks

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 04:19:42 PM
now for a couple of comments.  first, the positives - it has a 4/0 senator drag set capable of delivering 25 pounds of drag or better.

just to be 110% sure, this reel 320gti is actually a small version of the good old 113h 4/0 reel, right?
just bit less line capacity, although when fitting 300yd of 80# braid on the 320gi I dont see me needing more line than that.

if that assumption is right, doest that make the 320gt a stronger reel than the 112h 3/0 ?
The Baja Guy

alantani

the 320 and 330 have the same drag surface area.  the carbon fiber drag washers themselves are thinner, but the total surface area is the same.  now, the gear teeth are another issue.  the heavy gear teeth of the 3.25:1 gear ratio 113h senators are fairly heavy.  the gear teeth of the 4:1 320/33/ gt series reels are quite a bit skinnier.  figure that the 113h gears will reliably perform at 15#'s of drag, you might have a max of 20#'s and will shred at 25#'s.  the the skinnier gear teeth of the 320/330 gt series reels will reliably perform at 12#'s of drag, have a max of 15#'s, and will reliably shred at 20#'s of drag. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

well, yes Alan, I know by memory this whole thread LOL.

but what about the smaller 3/0 senator, is it an exactly 4/0 (gears, power, etc) but smaller?
or its the same case than 320gti vs 220gti where the 220gti is not on the same league (drag) than the bigger brother

I mostly asking this cuz a friend has a lot of reels that he not use, and many of them are really beat up and few are no-names or chinesse ones, but he has a penn 3/0 senator and I might take it only if is on the same league of the 320gti, it not, then I will let another friend to take it, I'm first hand on choosing.
The Baja Guy

alantani

the black side plate 112 has pretty heavy gears and is not so bad, it's just slow.  the red side plate 112H has jigmaster gears, and all the problems that go along with jigmaster gears.  the 112h will not perform to the same level as the venerable 113h. 

Bryan Young

Quote from: Linesiders on February 10, 2015, 05:53:47 AM
So I stripped down a 320 today, put in new drags, greased everything and followed the tutorial. Everything seems to be working correctly, however, the handle is a little harder to turn then it should be. Any suggestions to correct this?
Your drag stack may be too high and hitting the sideplate.  That is the only other thing I can think of why the handle is binding.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2015, 07:44:56 PM
the red side plate 112H has jigmaster gears, and all the problems that go along with jigmaster gears.  the 112h will not perform to the same level as the venerable 113h. 

thanks, I knew I did read that somewhere in this forum already, thanks again for the clarification

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

I just want to point out that our Jigmasters are not the same as Penn stock Jigmasters. I believe that some that I have could handle 20# drag.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

that awesome, thanks for pointing that out, that gives me also another reason to dont take that 3/0 from my friend and let it for another guy that will use it more than me, if I ever want a small old school penn for casting purposes, I'd better go with a modded up jigmaster instead of a bulky 3/0.

I really more into newer reels for casting the iron or jigs all day, tho.

PS: I used to have a 500L and love it, I just got blinded by the bling and specs of all alloy little tanks and sold it.
I really cant afford to have more than 5 reels (my wife forced me to put this last sentence)
The Baja Guy

alantani

You know, they log in to see what we're up to.

George4741

This series of reels also have graphite (aka plastic) frames.  Elsewhere on this forum we've seen graphite frames fail at about 20 lbs drag.  Some of the culprits were Shimano TLDs.  That is reason enough for me to keep the drag settings quite a bit less than than 20 lbs. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Linesiders

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 13, 2015, 10:19:05 PM
Quote from: Linesiders on February 10, 2015, 05:53:47 AM
So I stripped down a 320 today, put in new drags, greased everything and followed the tutorial. Everything seems to be working correctly, however, the handle is a little harder to turn then it should be. Any suggestions to correct this?
Your drag stack may be too high and hitting the sideplate.  That is the only other thing I can think of why the handle is binding.

Finally got a chance to take it apart, and put it back together with the same problem. Took it apart again and removed the pen ht-100 carbon fiber washer that I added as an upgrade. Put it back together w the original washer. Now it's working fine.
So most likely, I fixed the problem without my knowledge of doing it or is this something that can occur with the ht-100? What's the benefit to that washer anyway?

alantani

too much overall height.  maybe the wave washer had to come out.  not sure.  glad you at least got it working.  it will be fine as is.  now go catch something with it!

garking84

I need a bearing for my 330 gti.  Does anyone know where I could get one?  I need it to have removable shields for cleaning purposes.  Oh and I need the one that goes on the bridge plate.