320gti/320gt2/321gti

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hottuna1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Taily

Quote from: steelfish on January 19, 2015, 11:48:04 PM
""" the teeth on the main and pinion gears of the penn 113h (right side) are much larger than the teeth of the main and pinion gears of the penn 320 gti (left side).  the smaller teeth of the 320 main gear will shred much easily than the heaver teeth of the 113h main gear. ""

ok, this might be a dumb question but.. since the drag washers are the same size and diameter, I can only imagine the main gear are same size too.
and since 113h main drag and pinion are more robust than the ones on the 320gti, have anyone tried to install some 113h gears on the smaller sibling?

it would be a nice new breed of 320gt, stronger and more torquier.. I will be looking for some 4/0 113h old reel on the flea markets to try out, unless Alan or other reel guru already tried that with no luck

Conversely it wasn't difficult to slightly mill down he spiggot on the 113H spool to accept the GTi gears as it really only locates both the spool in the bearing and the gear to the spool. Popped a small sleeve in the bearing to accept the smaller dia shaft.

Works a treat and am yet to see any real damage after a couple of years of use. The other option was to ream/drill the gear but also thought that might court trouble in gear strength.

Ooops, cat is out of the bag...... ;)
Nunc est bibendum....

Ron Jones

That would give you a 5:1 gear ratio on a 4/0! I would be cautious with drag numbers due to the larger spool diameter but otherwise Holy Moly the retrieve ratio!
Cool stuff.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

where to find the upgraded spool tension control cap (key #26B).  "the flare on top is large enough to insure that the cap will not fall off.  quite a few of these have.  remove the old cap and install the new one."

on scotts the carry to small one, and I would like to get the one with the long flares.
The Baja Guy

Ruffy

Hi everyone, I bought the cap 26B but didn't buy new shims 40C and 40D. I've dug the old ones out of the old cap however they aren't enough, I can wind the cap down as far as it can go without affecting the spool. I was just going to make some more out of a plastic milk carton, I am not paying for a courier on such cheap parts from the Aussie penn parts supplier. Anyone see any issues with this? Is there a better household material I should use?

Cheers,
Andrew

alantani

i never could get this to work right.  i left out the rubber piece, cranked the cap all the way down, left a whole bunch of play in the spool and called it a day.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ruffy

Hi Alan,
I had a look at the GT2 schematic (attached) and it says you need two of the metal shims (40C) and one rubber one (40D), which my GTi with the old cap did not have. I am guessing this is why we both had the issue with the new cap (26B). With one metal and one rubber thrust washer it is closer to working than I thought it'd be initially (I can get some friction on the spool), I am sure with another plastic dot in between the two it'll be fine.

Cheers,
Andrew

GeorgeN

I have two 320 gti reels that I have owned since new.  I use them for lead core trolling in fresh and salt water and have them both loaded up with dacron backing and 10 colors of 27 lb test lead core.  Recently the line guide began to malfunction on one of the reels.  It is very critical especially with lead core that the line guide never gets out of sync with the line on the spool.  The situation was that I had nine of the ten colors out, hooked a fish, and while retrieving the line the line guide started hanging up on the left side of the spool causing the lead core to start piling up in one place on the left side and then the pawl/worm gear would engage again and I ended up with quite a mess.  I landed the fish, but had to retire the outfit and go to my backup rig.  I took the reel apart, cleaned and inspected the worm gear/pawl, re-lubed, and took the outfit in the garage to reload the line.  It worked for a few revolutions and the problem resurfaced. I suppose replacing the worm gear and pawl are in order.  These reels have been rock solid.........are they prone to this problem?  How can I prevent this from happening once I replaced the worm gear/pawl set?  Thanks, George Santee, CA

johndtuttle

Quote from: GeorgeN on November 21, 2015, 01:18:06 AM
I have two 320 gti reels that I have owned since new.  I use them for lead core trolling in fresh and salt water and have them both loaded up with dacron backing and 10 colors of 27 lb test lead core.  Recently the line guide began to malfunction on one of the reels.  It is very critical especially with lead core that the line guide never gets out of sync with the line on the spool.  The situation was that I had nine of the ten colors out, hooked a fish, and while retrieving the line the line guide started hanging up on the left side of the spool causing the lead core to start piling up in one place on the left side and then the pawl/worm gear would engage again and I ended up with quite a mess.  I landed the fish, but had to retire the outfit and go to my backup rig.  I took the reel apart, cleaned and inspected the worm gear/pawl, re-lubed, and took the outfit in the garage to reload the line.  It worked for a few revolutions and the problem resurfaced. I suppose replacing the worm gear and pawl are in order.  These reels have been rock solid.........are they prone to this problem?  How can I prevent this from happening once I replaced the worm gear/pawl set?  Thanks, George Santee, CA

Its probably just wear of the Pawl or Worm or both. They have a finite life span particularly when retrieving continually under load like lead core will produce.

alantani

Quote from: GeorgeN on November 21, 2015, 01:18:06 AM

it happens ALOT!!!!!  i use a teflon dot that is 0.010 inches thick to shim the pawl and avoid this problem.  if you send me a pm with your address, i will drop a bunch into the mail. 

GeorgeN

Alan,

Thank you so much for offering to send me the Teflon dots to shim the pawls on my 320 GTI reels.  I will try the shim first to see if I can get away without replacing the pawl and worm gear as after cleaning them up there was no obvious wear signs, my eye sight being not the best, however.

If it works, I will also shim the other reel that so far has not developed this problem.  If I do replace the pawl/worm gear on the troubled reel, I will also shim the new pawl to prevent the problem reoccurring. I just emailed my mailing address to you.  I have received nothing bu the best of help from you and all others I have interacted with since I joined this forum.  You are all very inspirational and truly devoted fishing reel professionals.  George Santee, CA 

GeorgeN

Alan, did you get my mailing address.  I sent you an email to your yahoo email address. Jusr checking to see if you received it.  Thanks, George Santee. CA

alantani

yes, you should have had that envelope by now.  i'm guessing it will arrive today. 

GeorgeN

Thanks Alan.  I got the dots and installed one in the reel with the problem and it appears that it is now working.  The true test will be on the water which I will do next week after Thanksgiving.  I also installed a shim in the other reel to prevent any future line guide problems.  Many thanks and the best of Thanksgiving to you and your family.  I will be posting as soon as the next fishing trip happens and I put the repaired reel through a day on the water.  George Santee, CA

GeorgeN

Alan,

Just in case I need parts for these GTI reels in the future, who would be the most reliable source for Penn parts such as the line guide components? Thanks, George >+)))><

alantani

yes, mysticparts.com will be your best bet.