320gti/320gt2/321gti

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeN

Thanks Alan I will add mysticparts.com to my resource list. George >+)))><

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

GeorgeN

Alan,

Just as a side note, I took one of the teflon shims you sent and installed into the pawl/worm in a 310GTI that I also own.  It made the 310 a little tight through the travel of the pawl across the worm.  I removed the shim assuming that the 310GTI's do not have the same design flaw as the 320's have.  Am I right in my assumption or does my particular 310 have a better pawl/worm fit by chance?  Just curious. 

I have not yet had a chance to test my repaired 320 on the water.  Looks like I will not be going out until next week and will report on the results then. George >+)))>< Santee, CA

mo65

Trying to steal one of these has been tough...they rarely go under $50 on the big auction. I've read this tutorial so many times that if I ever do snag a deal, I'll know how to tear it down blindfolded! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on May 05, 2019, 03:58:30 PM
  Trying to steal one of these has been tough...they rarely go under $50 on the big auction. I've read this tutorial so many times that if I ever do snag a deal, I'll know how to tear it down blindfolded! 8)

Keep the faith Mo, I got mine few years back from fleabay for $40 shipped and it had some Alantani mods already, the bearing of the bridge was already open with no shields, it had the carbontex under the main gear and the bigger knob of the tension spool, still one of my favorites for bait fishing in the bay.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12869.0
The Baja Guy

Jenx

Hey everyone. I just acquired an older 320Gti that has never been opened. Below is the picture of it, and I have a quick question:Everywhere I look online shows these reels came in boxes, yet mine is packaged in plastic. Was this packaging specific to a certain store, like a Kmart or Walmart?

Just curious. Thanks.

JoseCuervo

I have bought several Penns in that clamshell packaging. Usually it was at a sporting goods store like Big5, but Walmart as well. Don't give it a second thought, the reels are the same quality as boxed ones.

There is also this clamshell package. As long as it is USA made all is well.

Jenx

Thank you JoseCuervo for the info.

BradH

I'm halfway through my 320gti service- first conventional reel I've ever done.  Ordered a handful of parts from Mystic (worm, pawl, idler gears, etc.) that arrived today so I'll finish up tonight. 

Service is simple and straighforward.  If you're new to repair and on the fence about diving in, do it.  This tutorial and the info on Mystic's website are a great help. 

Is the worm and pawl a go/no go item in terms of wear?  Tried to dress the worm with a fine file but the pawl would double back on itself.  Would a shim fix this or is it warn out?  Sounds like I should shim the new pawl regardless. 

How smooth should the line guide post be?  Mine has some chrome flaking off and is a little rough in spots.   Should I get a new one next order?

Hardy Boy

I've seen them in horrible rough shape and they were still working fine. If you are not worried about cosmetics just smooth it with some steel wool of fine emery cloth. If you need any good used parts shoot me a pm.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

oc1

Quote from: BradH on October 29, 2020, 03:59:14 PM
I'm halfway through my 320gti service- first conventional reel I've ever done.  Ordered a handful of parts from Is the worm and pawl a go/no go item in terms of wear?  Tried to dress the worm with a fine file but the pawl would double back on itself.  Would a shim fix this or is it warn out?  Sounds like I should shim the new pawl regardless. 

How smooth should the line guide post be?  Mine has some chrome flaking off and is a little rough in spots.   Should I get a new one next order?

I don't think you can shim a pawl.  When the U-shaped part is worn then it's toast.

A common failure is the carriage; the block that the line guide is attached to.  The inside of the hole will wear as it slides back and forth on the worm.  When the hole is worn the carriage can wobble a bit.  When it wobbles it can bind on the worm grooves. 

If the levelwind is sticking and the idler gear is OK, I'd go ahead and replace the worm, carriage and pawl together to avoid making multiple orders. 

The other option is to grow up, throw the levelwind mechanism away, and learn to lay line with your finger.
-steve

Bill B

I have a couple 320's as loaners for novices, hell I even use them when I'm lazy.....I keep a couple worm gears and pawls in stock to keep them running.  I haven't tried shimming the pawl, I just replace it when it starts acting up.  They are cheap when you buy a couple and add them to another order.  By removing the level wind stuff you can gain a considerable amount to casting distance by not having all that stuff grinding away, but to each his own....The 320 has great internals, probably more than the frame can handle....If you look at some of Alan's loaners for deep drops they are all 320's......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

BradH

Thanks for the help guys.  Will check the carriage, good call.   

Quote from: oc1 on October 29, 2020, 08:26:25 PM

The other option is to grow up, throw the levelwind mechanism away, and learn to lay line with your finger.
-steve

Levelwinds are the go-to for rockfish (striped bass) trolling in the Chesapeake.  We use the levelwind as simple line counter (count 'bars' levelwind passes ~10-12') and it's easy for novice anglers.  Some boats are trolling 25+ lines with planer boards so using a hand held counter is not practical and measuring and marking the line is tough (think cutoffs and tangles) and you may have to change distance on the fly.  May not be the best solution but it's what's done around here. 

The shimming is with teflon dots.  I have not tried it but has been discussed on here. 

Jim Fujitani

I have heard of some deckhands of party boats buying 'damaged' 320's from fishers as they walked off the boats.  The deckhands replace the drags and remove the LW for personal use.

mo65

Shimming under the pawl makes the worn u-shape catch the worm just fine in most cases...I've used any old washer or disc that will fit in the cap...and not raise the pawl so high as to bind. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Brewcrafter

Brad - My favorite lead-line trolling setup is a 320GT2LC with a line counter, which is a little redundant since the lead core line changes color every 10 yards anyway.  Love the reel and have trolled many stripers on it. - john