Rod lathe

Started by Ron Jones, November 26, 2013, 04:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

OK,
I have the shop put together just about how I want it. My wall of cabinets is 16 feet long and I could use 4 more feet if I had to. I will soon have 2 T-tracks running parallel through the entire run and I am going to build a rod lathe that can fit in the track. I have a general idea about what I am going to do. Metal stations with 3 roller blade wheels each and a sewing machine motor and a rotisserie motor available without unmounting the rod. I'm looking for the "nice to haves" and the tricks guys have learned or wished they did when setting up to make life easier. This rig will be broken down so I can use the counter for other projects, but it will be rock solid.
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wallacewt

hi noyb72
you can make life a bit easier if
your sewing machine motor is two speed

Ron Jones

Well,
I'm planning on running it off a belt with a drill press pulley set that will give me 9 speeds if I need them. Not for any reason other than I have it laying around. I assume you mean 1 motor to be the wrapper and the dryer? That would work if I could get it slow enough in a constant on state.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wallacewt

no i meant for the binding
you start off on the slow speed then depress the foot pedal
and it speeds up.very handy for the underbinding.

Jeri

Hi  Ron,

Suggest that you look at about 9rpm for the rod to turn for drying purposes. 

Additionally, that you rig up some scheme where you get total free spin – so that you can turn the rod by hand, as there are some threadwork techniques that are best done by hand – diamond patterns are a prime example, and weaves.

You might want to put something like 'O' rings on your rod support bearings, nice and soft, but don't damage the blank.

Hope that all helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Ron Jones

Oh, got you Wallace.
The sewing machine has a completly variable speed motor so I cna make it as slow as I want. I want the variable speed so that I can just hold the pedal down and have it spin at the desired RPM.

Jerry,
Thank you for the RPM. I should be able to get that easy. My motor/chuck interface will have a slip joint that can completly disengage to allow free spool. The individual who taught me the basics when I was a kid used such a set up,  and I never considered that it wasn't a mandatory feature.

I over engineer things, especially for my abilities, but at least I have plenty of room to grow!
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

erikpowell

Your wrapper/dryer sounds similar to mine and it seems you've got it pretty dialed.
Mine has served me well for the few dozen rods I've wrapped or repaired.

The best "nice to have" change I made was to set up my dryer motor on a different jig. That way I can wrap a rod, move it to the dryer to glue it up, and start wrapping a different rod while the first one turns and dries.

I still get backed up though on my finishing & drying.

My next addition will have to be a chain driven multi rod dryer mounted on the wall.
That'll help get me out of the shop all the quicker!