Custom Rod Building 101

Started by Tightlines667, November 30, 2013, 11:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I am considering learning how to build/wrap custom heavy offshore trolling rods.  Can anyone recommend any good resources to get me started on the learning process?
I.E a good book, Internet furums, materials (blank, reel seat, etc..) suppliers

I'm in no rush so might start by reading a good how to book.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bluefish69

Try mudhole.com they have everything you need including classes for the beginner.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

philaroman

these guys are pretty advanced, but their Library & FAQ sections are very detailed & beginner-friendly:

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html

VW

Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens.  Everything you need to know.  It is out of print but Mudhole has new paperback copies, and they turn up regularly on ebay, Amazon, etc.

Bryan Young

Custom Rod Building by Dale P. Clemens.   I learn by reading about it in this (his) first book then talking to the guy at Fuji's Fishing Supply in Kaimuki, Honolulu, Hawaii...which perfected my wrapping skills by trial and more trial.  It's easier today due to youtube...you can actually see how it is being wrapped.  Note, the wraps should not be too tight.  You could constrain the blank at that point and snap during a heavy load.

Myself, I have fallen in love with interline rods...guides except the one where the line enters the blank and where the line exits the blank.  Must the influence when working and living in Japan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rodent

tightlines666, you may want to go to brian's fishing supply in mccully.  he has a lot of rod rapping supplies and i am sure he will help you find what you need.  he has always been very supportive and will spend the time to answer your questions, just find a time when he is not busy with other customers.

seaeagle2

Rod building is one of those things where you can be as basic as cardboard box with a couple notches cut in it and a phone book for a thread tensioner, to some really elaborate rod wrapping systems.  I made rod wrapping stands out of wood and furniture wheels and still use a phone book for a thread tensioner but I've often thought this set up from Jann's netcraft would be a great starter set up http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-wrappers/027471300002.aspx  At a place like Mudhole or my favorite Jann's Netcraft, or cabela's bargin cave, you can often find really cheap blanks and guide and handle sets, you should get some cheap stuff and give it go, you'll get some practice so you won't ruin an expensive blank...  One thing that I found was a must have even for somebody cheap like me was a rod drying motor, I just could never come up with another way to rotate the blank slowly so the rod finish doesn't sag.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson