replacing the rod tip

Started by pcde123, December 03, 2013, 01:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Measure the end of the rod in 64th and order what you need here,
http://acidrod.com/hardloy_tops.html
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

Quote from: Keta on December 03, 2013, 01:47:20 AM
Measure the end of the rod in 64th and order what you need

DITTO -- forget kits!!!  Fuji is good quality (definitely better than Berkley), but the kit is still for emergency repair, so you can salvage a trip.  for permanent repair, you want the tube diameter just right -- not, "close...  I can make it fit"

pcde123

apreciate it guys! , your link seems afordable!, as for attaching the actual tip, do yall use super glue?

bluefish69

There is a Special Cement that you have to heat. You can use a Cig. Lighter.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Quote from: bluefish69 on December 04, 2013, 12:47:30 AM
There is a Special Cement that you have to heat. You can use a Cig. Lighter.

Mike

Ferule cement or hot glue.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pcde123

so after i measure the tip, how do i know which size matches the diameter measured???

Keta

Quote from: pcde123 on December 04, 2013, 02:09:19 AM
so after i measure the tip, how do i know which size matches the diameter measured???

The tip size will be the number of 64ths, a # 5 tip will be 5/64"  a number 20 tip will be 20/64".

Mark Twain

Jeri

Hi Guys,

A quick word about 'HOT GLUE', great for a running repair, but it has a fairly low melting point, if you are fishing somewhere really hot, then you might experience the tip moving round as the glue softens in the heat. More permanent job is to use any of the 2 part epoxy resins - much higher melting point.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Irish Jigger

Never had that problem here Jeri ;)

Jeri

Hi Irish Jigger,

Nor did I, having built custom rods in the UK, but when you travel further afield, unexpected problems come into play.

Apart from some of the obvious 'nom de plumes', we are a global group, and at times it is difficult to determine where folks are asking their questions from. Feel sure that 'hot glue' is not a problem in Alaska, but take a rod built there somewhere warmer, and you look a little silly hooked into a big fish and the tip starts to screw round to the underside of the rod - short stroke acid wrapped!!!!!! :)

Cheers from sunny Namibai

Jeri

floating doc

I've always used the "hot glue", and I live in Florida. A few times I've left a rod in a car and came back to find that the tip swiveled around from it's weight after the inside of the car heated up. If it was still hot, I just straightened it back up before it set (you've got to do this pretty quickly). Otherwise, a second or two with a flame on the tube, and then line it up. Good to go!

I never felt that I wanted to epoxy my tips, since once that is done you're committed to that tip forever. If the ring pops out, you have to cut the tip off, taking the end of the blank with it. The slight loss in length off the tip of the rod will cause a big change in the action. This isn't good if you like the rod, because it will never handle the same after it's cut down.
Central Florida

Bunnlevel Sharker

I like being able to pull the tip if I wanna strip the blank
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on December 05, 2013, 12:46:35 AM
I like being able to pull the tip if I wanna strip the blank

Absolutely!
Central Florida