Saragosa 18k drag upgrade

Started by Inspiro, December 04, 2013, 09:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspiro

Hi all
I just ordered drag washers for Saragosa 18k (5 washers) & Stella 18/20k SW(3 washers), and was surprised to see that the outer diameter is the same, while the inner diameter is smaller on the Gosa washers
So the gosa has much bigger washer surface area than the Stella(bigger area per washer & 5 washers instead of 3)

Off course I'm by no means trying to say the Saragosa is better or even in close league, I just want to say if some Saragosa were beaten by big tuna (200lb or so), the drag washers is not the reason
The main problem was the plastic drag cap that melted (even Shimano's upgraded caps)and the reel's poor heat dissipation

Regarding the cap, can we upgrade it by using heat insulating tape (or sheet ) at the bottom end of the cap?
I guess this will limit the heat transfer to the cap and consequently minimize the risk of cap melting

As for heat dissipation, May be you can have a bottle of water beside you to try cool it down  :)

Thanks in advance
Inspiro

basto

I have the `gosa 14000f. It is rated at 44lbs max drag. I kinda like the dense weave washers of the Stella better. They look as if they will last longer. Time will tell I guess. I think the larger Saragosas are very good value reels.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n