Tuning Saltist for casting

Started by thorhammer, September 16, 2021, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

My buddy has a Saltist (newer black / blue model) that is a bit fast for him. Anyone done anything to tune these? Without going magging route, I told him I could maybe try some different weight lubes to slow it down, but don't want to fully put breaks on it as it's a Hatteras reel.

thanks!

John

nelz

Ha-ha, yeah, I can relate. I always wonder why some folks go to so much trouble to get free-spool that goes on for minutes. I guess casting very light lures or maybe distance casting competitions would be a reasons.  Anyway, I add heavier lubes, even straight grease to spool bearings to slow down those fancy spin-forever reels. Works for me.

thorhammer

Thanks- this is an 8-'n-bait reel on a 13' heaver, so it needs some control. He's got some 30 SHSV's also that sling but I told him the Saltist is too nice a reel to sit on shelf or lob 50 yds with full thumb, which is what he was doing. He's 6'5, 315 and should be hitting low level orbit.

John

Squidh90

Other than the speed how has your friend liked the reel? I've heard good things about the older saltist models in the mid Atlantic surf casting community but haven't heard much about these new black and blue ones. I've been curious about how these hold up for heaving.

nelz

You could also try gluing small magnets onto the sideplate until you reach the desired braking.

thorhammer

Quote from: Squidh90 on September 17, 2021, 03:20:26 PM
Other than the speed how has your friend liked the reel? I've heard good things about the older saltist models in the mid Atlantic surf casting community but haven't heard much about these new black and blue ones. I've been curious about how these hold up for heaving.

He likes it other than he hasn't been able to reach out with it. Other buddies love the old ones- silver. i have 30 slosh and two 20 SHV's which are nice, but I typically throw 525 mag, 980's or Cortez 501 / 99's. Occasionally an Abu.

steelfish

well, I have the saltist 20h old model and love it, right now it has no mags but I used it with two small mags for some time, then one mag.

I wondered the same before going the mag route and you're right the only way is with grease on the bearings but after some use the grease will become thinner and he will have the same problem of too much free spool.

tell your friend, there is a reason why some casting reels come with mag knobs from the factory
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

We talked about having it magged but not sure it can be done before the trip.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: thorhammer on September 17, 2021, 03:09:10 PM
Thanks- this is an 8-'n-bait reel on a 13' heaver, so it needs some control. He's got some 30 SHSV's also that sling but I told him the Saltist is too nice a reel to sit on shelf or lob 50 yds with full thumb, which is what he was doing. He's 6'5, 315 and should be hitting low level orbit.

John
But does he have the moves
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare