where on the boat do yall like to be?

Started by pcde123, December 13, 2013, 05:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

im trying to reserve a spot for a deep sea charter that i might try to go on over the winter break
the company asked me where on the boat i wanted to reserve my spot and  i didnt really know where a good place would be. the boat is a catamaran and the lay out is made lie this http://www.galvestonpartyboatsinc.com/layouts/newbuccaneer-layout.pdf
idk where the anchor get let out..... and i am told that catamarans are mroe stable on the sides? in that true,  i wanna try to get a spot with the least amount of cramming, like i want a little room to move around, would that be near the corners?

alantani

doesn't matter to me.  i can usually sleep anywhere.  i just need earplugs.  the bow can be pretty bouncy in rough seas, the stern is noisy because of the engine.  go for the middle!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

If they anchor, most people want the stern. On those boats, the spaces are all the same size, so that's not really a factor. Are you on a 12hr or a 30hr and which boat, the New Buccaneer or the Cavalier? Unless you are drift fishing, the spot doesn't really matter. BTW, I've fished the New Bucc since 1974 when it was new. Not so much now but a lot back then.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

Anytime I stake my claim on a boat, and I do that for a living, I ask two questions, where is the head and where is the food. I'm guessing the doors get you in, I'd pick a spot between the door and the bait tank on the side that has the head.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Quote from: noyb72 on December 13, 2013, 07:05:01 AM
Anytime I stake my claim on a boat, and I do that for a living, I ask two questions, where is the head and where is the food. I'm guessing the doors get you in, I'd pick a spot between the door and the bait tank on the side that has the head.

Ron

Wow, it's good to have a reply from someone with this kind of experience. I never would have thought of that.
Central Florida

BMITCH

I've never been on a cat before so I'll tell you where I like on a regular boat. First is the intention to be bait fishing? Jigging? If bait fishing at anchor in the stern. Usually the chum is thrown at midship which will give you an advantage of having your hooked bait in the slick. If jigging and drifting I opt for the pointy end of the boat. The reasoning if there is a move to a different spot or to follow fish you can in most instances switch sides as the capt. Slides up on the fish. Hope this helps? What you need to do is ask questions first.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

day0ne

This is a Gulf of Mexico bottom fishing snapper boat. No chum, no bait well, though they do have a live well. On 12hr trips, the boat anchors over the spot. No drifting etc. Unless you are using a drift line for kings (probably not in winter), you don't need the stern. 30hr trips are tuna trips and you can fish anywhere, depending if you are jigging, popping or chunking. Bottom fishing, the spot really doesn't matter. Sometimes you are over the spot, sometimes not. There are benches down the sides, but not right across the stern (43-58) or at the bow (probably the first 10 spots on each side), in case you want to sit down while fishing, though you will have to get up when ever anyone walks down the side. BTW, the head is toward the starboard bow but the closest door is amidships.. The galley is toward the stern, with a door on either side.
David

seekfishing

you want to be on the stern, as close to spot number 100 as possible. The new buc or caviler will be booked solid and with one hundred lines on anchor the stern will be the best spot.

Allan
Seekfishing
Seekfishing
custom rod and reel
seekfishing.com

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

Quote from: Seek1 on December 14, 2013, 03:18:32 PM
you want to be on the stern, as close to spot number 100 as possible. The new buc or caviler will be booked solid and with one hundred lines on anchor the stern will be the best spot.

Allan
Seekfishing

Spot 100 is in the bow, next to the anchor
David

pcde123

Quote from: day0ne on December 13, 2013, 07:00:24 AM
If they anchor, most people want the stern. On those boats, the spaces are all the same size, so that's not really a factor. Are you on a 12hr or a 30hr and which boat, the New Buccaneer or the Cavalier? Unless you are drift fishing, the spot doesn't really matter. BTW, I've fished the New Bucc since 1974 when it was new. Not so much now but a lot back then.
THANKS , do you remeber by anychance where the bait tank will be???
i'm suprised by all the responses, chances are there will be alittle wind, but im not too worried about the weather, i like to stand up and fish, maybe superstition, but i tend to get a better bite standing up. apreciate the clarifications, idk if it will be a 30hr or 12 hr, btw have anyof yall notices significant stabitity differences in cataramans and regular boats? ill probably stay indoors going in and going out, but just curious, ive been on regular boats and have created my own chum if u know what  i mean

Dominick

Quote from: pcde123 on December 15, 2013, 04:55:04 AM
[ill probably stay indoors going in and going out, but just curious, ive been on regular boats and have created my own chum if u know what  i mean
I won't go on a boat without a scopolamine transdermal patch. Call your doctor for a prescription.  I did not fish from a boat for years until a doctor recommended that I try the patch.  It opened the whole boating thing for me.  Just keep yourself hydrated while using the patch and you will not get sick.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

day0ne

Quote from: pcde123 on December 15, 2013, 04:55:04 AM
Quote from: day0ne on December 13, 2013, 07:00:24 AM
THANKS , do you remeber by anychance where the bait tank will be???
i'm suprised by all the responses, chances are there will be alittle wind, but im not too worried about the weather, i like to stand up and fish, maybe superstition, but i tend to get a better bite standing up. apreciate the clarifications, idk if it will be a 30hr or 12 hr, btw have anyof yall notices significant stabitity differences in cataramans and regular boats? ill probably stay indoors going in and going out, but just curious, ive been on regular boats and have created my own chum if u know what  i mean

They don't really have a bait tank like the SoCal boats do, but there is a very nice live well dead center at the stern. One point, you have to bring any live bait, as they don't furnish it and any bait that goes in the live well becomes community property, if I'm not mistaken. Bait trays completely circle the boat and the crew keeps them full of squid. As far as stability, the cats don't roll like the mono hulls, so are as a rule, more stable at rest. The New Bucc is 34 feet wide. The 30hr trips are specialized, low load, over night trips and cost like 3 times as much. If they are asking where you want to fish, it is probably a 12hr.
David

spottybastard

Weather on anchor or adrift, I prefer to have the wind in my face.  It keeps my line from going under the boat... :o