6500 C3 help

Started by bassacre, December 20, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassacre

No the main gear slides on and off the gear shift with no resistance at all. I'm wondering if I have the correct two paired together.

Ken_D

Hmmmm..... if you have never had the reel apart before, and it worked before you entered, it's highly unlikely the pinion and the main are a mismatch. What is it exactly you are having grief with.
Are you now saying that the main and the pinion will no longer mesh, and you can't place the main where it's supposed to be, on the driveshaft?

GulfOfBothnia

If the reel was apart maybe pinion has gone upside down?

bassacre

I have taken the reel down and put it back together twice and each time I spin the handle and I get no movement on the spool.

Ken_D

Quote from: bassacre on December 21, 2013, 03:48:33 PM
I have taken the reel down and put it back together twice and each time I spin the handle and I get no movement on the spool.

Whaaaaaaaa?  This is a far cry from a gearset issue you have been on about !!!!   What sort of spring do you have on the position holder? A coil spring, or one of those ones that look like baby sugar tongs? I don't have a pic of the flat spring, just a current no-spring one, and a spring.  and while we are there, note the position of the position holder... some folks make the rookie mistake of putting the pinion yoke on top of the position holder, instead of underneath like the pic.

And this sometimes destroys the position holder, causing the reel to do what you say it's doing. You can sometimes save the mere under 5.00 cost of a new position holder, by carefully bending the "prongers" downwards so they are once again even, and applying slightly more pressure.    I missed Gulf's post about the pinion, check there too, as advised. (Good catch) That could be it.

Ken_D

Also: Note the clutch arm in the pic.... the "triangular" part, right at the post for the driveshaft. On one of the triangle legs, see the small "tab"... bent upwards nearly a 90° angle. If the position holder is functioning and the reel still won't engage, ~~carefully~~ Exaggerate that little bend to a steeper angle, so it can more easily flip into the bottom teeth of the driveshaft. Carefully to mean ~~ensure~~ the base of the triangle remains flat.

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Ken_D on December 21, 2013, 06:59:31 AM
Persuant to LL's observations above, the only burs I have ever seen on the driveshafts would be way up top at the threaded portion where the slot is cut to allow the handle to rest upon. Now and again they flare, making a bur. Are those the ones, Larry?  When there, they are so obvious I neglected to mention them, glad you did.   

I see his story has changed a bit :D

I work mainly on reels used for muskie and I found the keyed washers tend to make a bur on the drive shaft and it can make it really difficult to get the drag stack and gear off. Muskie guys tend to really crank their drag down for some reason.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Ken_D

Gotcha L....the only burs I've seen as you described were on the 7000C Syncros, to the degree the driveshaft was darned near friction welded to the gearset. Cheers, KD. ps: any luck on that BPS reel.

bassacre

I haven't got that sleeve on the drag stack. I have the gear shaft, the main gear, the drag stack and the bellvilles. I got the reel for free and it has never engaged properly so I decided to take it apart and try to get it to function properly.

GulfOfBothnia

If there is no instant anti reverse you should have plastic drive shaft bearing instead of metal sleeve.

If this part is missing you can not get enough pressure to the drag stack to turn to spool (or engage). It's like having zero drag.

bassacre

When I took the reel apart originally  part number 20960 was not there so I ordered it. It had the bearing and the Bellville washers though.

Ken_D

Quote from: bassacre on December 21, 2013, 07:38:40 PM
I haven't got that sleeve on the drag stack. I have the gear shaft, the main gear, the drag stack and the bellvilles. I got the reel for free and it has never engaged properly so I decided to take it apart and try to get it to function properly.

Yoo-Hoo....who cares about the sleeve !!!!!! The pic was for the Clutch arm !!!!!  The issue was non-release and how to deal with it, not a sleeve !!! And we have now moved from a gearset issue, to a non-engagement issue, to you buying parts. What else are you not saying ?????  Diagnostics are based on _input_ .... And you have been a little shy on that, don't you think?

Is the little shim still under the driveshaft on the post? Is the E-clip up on top of the driveshaft in place?

bassacre

I didn't think there was a problem with the clutch arm. I'm just trying to understand what you're referring to not trying to dodge any questions or anything.

Keta

Quote from: bassacre on December 20, 2013, 08:36:52 PM
So if I hold the gear shaft and try to spin the gear it should or should not spin freely?

The gear should spin on the shaft with little or no resistance.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

OK.... we are back to the gearset.....The concerns seem to be: the reel not engaging when push to cast, then having the handle continuing to just spin, and/or the gearset not meshing from the gitgo?  Are all parts according to the drawing covering your reel, present and accounted for, and installed correctly?  

There's X number of reasons a reel will not come back to reel mode, from cast mode, when the button is depressed. Back to the gearset: Are they meshed and in place.  Is the position holder installed correctly with a spring that works.

Is the clutch arm catching the driveshaft correctly. Is the little shim under the driveshaft present. Is the cast button free to move in and out in the sideplate slot. Is the top eclip in place. Is the transmission sideplate true, not bent or distorted. Is the frame square and not bent over or racked.

I suspect there's little else can cause the reel not to return to reel from cast. But errare humanae est.