Mitchell 302 cleaning

Started by Chris Gatorfan, December 31, 2013, 02:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

Well decided to brake down my 302 today to do a much needed service on it. Pics will be posted soon. There was some corrosion buildup on the lip of the spool and on the reel arm, so i soaked them as i was doing the cleaning, then touched them up with a wire brush.
As i removed the drag stack i realized that the last Guy that serviced it had put the drags in out of sequence which i believe is the reason that the drag seemed to skip. Then as i removed the spool i noticed that the bell housing was full of sand and grime. The grease inside the body of the reel was a mixture of blue and brown grease.
After full disassembly i cleaned all the parts and gave them a decent buffing. Put some TSI 321 on the bearing which was in great shape. And fully greased down the body with Penn blue grease. I also sprayed down the inside and outside with Corrosion X HD.
After all said and done she is back together and work smoother than before. All that i have left to do to it now is install a CF drag stack, and get a power handle knob for it to help out when fighting big Cobia (Ling / Lemon Fish) this spring.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

And more pics from Chris
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Chris,

I have tons of parts for the 302/402 reels. A bunch of reel bodies, rotors, side plates, and bearings. The drag washers you need are Penn's 6-155's.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Chris Gatorfan

Do you have any of the 6-155's at the house. Also would you be willing to sell that box of 302/402 frames and parts.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

Thanks guys. All in all it was very simple. The only 2 issues i ran into were;
1. The spindle for the spool was locked down. Took about 10 minutes to finally brake it loose. And
2. It took a good minute to finally see the C-clamps that were holding the oscillator slide to the axel. Once i found them every thing just fell together.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Tom McKinney

Doing the same to one I I found.  Just sent Handi2 and email with a parts request. 

handi2

I just read your email and will pull the parts today. Do you need the metal and HT-100 drag washers?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Strong work Chris!

That's all there is to it. Alan and the other pros have taught us the basics, now we just have to dive in and do it! :D

Kozmo77

Gentlemen-may I post a request regarding a 303 I recently scored on the Bay...? My first Mitch and they are interesting! The reel was packed with varios goo posing as lube(actually was grease of at least 2, maybe 3 extractions). After disassembly and cleaning, I discovered a tiny key?? in the mess. A check on the Mitchell site(Soo very useful), places the key on the pinion in a hole( I think). True or not? Somewhere else? Also no friction washers were found in the drag, just an extra metal unkeyed one. So-- how many friction washers are used? On breakdowns I've seen it appears there may be as few as one!! Got a sheet of CF and can make some( 1mm) but need some input. Those schems are hard to read on the Mitchell site. Love this forum-- thanks Alan!! WC :) :) :)

Aiala

Quote from: Kozmo77 on July 14, 2015, 05:01:30 PM
After disassembly and cleaning, I discovered a tiny key?? in the mess. A check on the Mitchell site(Soo very useful), places the key on the pinion in a hole( I think). True or not?

Kozmo, you are exactly correct! That nearly-invisible key (part #81404, which has caused generations of Mitchell fans to tear their hair out) goes into the hole on the pinion gear (part 81404)... oriented lengthwise. Without it, the rotating head will not turn.

Good luck! It's a great reel, if a total headache to re-assemble.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Kozmo77

Many thanks beautiful lady!! Have read many of your fine posts and consider your guy extremely fortunate with impeccably good taste! :D :D

Aiala

Quote from: Kozmo77 on July 14, 2015, 05:37:46 PM
Many thanks beautiful lady!! Have read many of your fine posts and consider your guy extremely fortunate with impeccably good taste! :D :D

You're most welcome, Kozmo. BTW, my guy is actually a gal... and I'm the fortunate one!  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D