Mitchell 302 cleaning

Started by Chris Gatorfan, December 31, 2013, 02:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Aiala nailed it, Kozmo --

Without the "key" -- the pinion will not operate.

Guard it carefully -- they are second cousins to dog springs -- they like to go off on their own -- never to be seen again.  If there is a lot of grease on the pinion -- these are nearly invisible -- if the pinion is dry -- they fall out.  Just need to know this in advance.

Here is a drag stack blow up from the underside of a new spool -- might help a bit.

Also included a new key -- so others can see what you are working on.

Best and good luck,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Kozmo77

Kozmo77

Thanks so much friends. Fred, really appreciate the layout from the spool. I fabbed 3 CF washers and got the rest of the metal discs in the pack, but last ones under the master spring are out of sequence- will fix!!! Love this forum!!WC ;D ;D ;D

handi2

I have the pinion keys if ever needed.

To update the drag system get 6 Penn 6-155 HT-100 drag washers. With an empty spool and the spools spindle in place do it like this for a super smooth drag.

6-155 drag washer, round brass washer, 6-155 drag washer, eared brass washer, 6-155 drag washer, round brass washer, 6-155 drag washer, eared brass washer, 6-155 drag washer, round drag washer, 6-155 drag washer, then the original top hat washer on top for the spring to sit on. Grease the drag washers as you go.

If you cant fit that many always end up with a round drag washer on top. Most people use 4 drag washers but sometimes I can fit 6. The top ones is just to make things turn smoother.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Kozmo77

Thanks Handi!! Evidently you culled the waffle washer and spur to make some room. I assume the top hat is the flanged sleeve next to the coil. Will tinker and improvise. May I presume on you offer in the future if I need some Mitch parts? Will gladly pay ;D ;D

thorhammer

Great reels but the tiny c clips and key are indeed maddening....Mr. Oakes has one of my 402's (on Aiala's recco  ;) now that I just could not get smooth after about four dissassemblies.

Kozmo77

Thor- my 303 is not super smooth, but it is functioning okay. I have some grief from time to time with my little levelwinds( Shimanos,usually) and have had to almost wear out small parts in disassembly. I'm sure The Master will make your Mitch make music!! :D :D

AmishRandy

Here is my big question. Has anyone noticed that the breakdowns of the spool that were apparently used for repairmen show the cross-shaped tension washer that goes right under the drag adjustment goes in with the legs up, while the sticker on the spool shows it going in with the legs down? What to do? Down seems to make more sense.

:o :o :o
I was wrong! I am taking apart a bunch of NOS spools, and see that the legs should go UP into the little black knob. The washer will be under constant tension then. Otherwise, they would never touch anything unless the drag was completely backed off. The diagram on the spool is wrong.

Kozmo77

Randy- the spool schem is probably right. The cross spring will apply finger pressure against the keyed-threaded nut properly. Much like a throughout bearing in a clutch system on manual trans cars. The plastic winged knob is strongest in the center where it contacts the cross spring. I'm mystified by the waffle and spur system in the middle of the drag pack. Maybe Fred wil tell us if Handi doesn't beat him to it :D :D WC

Aiala

Quote from: Kozmo77 on July 30, 2015, 07:36:05 PM
I'm mystified by the waffle and spur system in the middle of the drag pack. Maybe Fred wil tell us if Handi doesn't beat him to it.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the click spring assembly, it's what makes the ratcheting noise when you pull line out against the drag. (I had a heck of a time with it, too... Fred helped me out.) Some folks get rid of it in favor of more drag washers to increase drag, but I kept mine original.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Kozmo77

Thanks Dear Lady- makes perfect sense! Kept mine in the parts box, NEVER throw away a reel part! The CF discs and the metal washers make a terrific drag system for the 303. The clicker is a wonderful addition- will probably put mine back in someday. :D :D

AmishRandy

Thanks, KOZMO. That was my thought, and the way I have been going with it.

:o :o :o

See above! I was wrong. The legs go UP. That should be easy to remember.

handi2

With the HT-100's you get rid of the clicking washers in the spool. The drag will be super smooth much like the newer reels made today.

You also don't need any of the parts above the pinion bearing. Neither the plastic part and the metal ring. They can cause the rotor to not spin smoothly and sometimes you can't tighten the rotor nut properly. If you ever get one that when you tighten the rotor nut the rotor gets stiff when turning this is why.

When it's assembled if there is any side to side movement of the spool you have to go back in and place shims on the block that the end of the spool shaft connects to. Most reels need at least one. If you don't have any you can make them out of a 114H dog spring. The flat copper spring's.

The size of the pinion bearing is 9x17x4. Ceramic bearings are a waist of money on these reels. A good SS bearing packed with CorrosionX and grease is the way to go. Cap off the bearing with grease before installing the rotor.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

AmishRandy

Thank you, ma'am. I will get busy!