Mitchell 302 cleaning

Started by Chris Gatorfan, December 31, 2013, 02:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: AmishRandy on August 25, 2015, 09:24:14 AM
Caution: this is scary.
Had a spool acting funny. It wouldn't click all the way around, and it didn't want to unscrew from the reel. It was cleaned as much as it would clean, greased and assembled correctly, and exploded for no apparent reason. Anyone ever seen this? It didn't do the spool body insides any good.

Needless to say, I am now on the hunt for OE drag washers and clicker parts.
Oh Snap AmishRandy.   Unfortunately I do not have replacement parts for you.  Fred may though. 

Fred, can you help?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

If you want the clicker parts that you show that are broken I can send you some. Just PM me your address and I will send them out.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Thanks, Keith --

If you find you do not have this part -- I should be able to back you up, for Randy.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Randy, when it comes to impossible-to-find parts, Keith and Fred are the all-star miracle workers.

Last year, in a move that would make an imbecile seem comparatively intelligent, I actually threw away the exact part you're seeking, the Mitchell click spring. I despaired of ever finding a replacement, until Fred sent me one. Saved!   ::)

You are in good hands.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Please send me your address and I'll mail them to you. I'll add some 6-155 HT-100 drag washers if you want to use them.

You can also use one of the drag washers under the spool if the original washer is missing or in bad shape.

Keith

One more thing. If you need a pinion bearing let me know and I'll add it to the package. With the rotor assembled and spun by hand it should be quiet. If it isn't the bearing needs replacing.

Gulf Breeze, FL

AmishRandy

Wow! Thank you very much! You guys are life savers! Thank you Keith, for taking the initiative to contact me by email, as I don't get on here much. Also for hooking me up!
Randy

smnaguwa

Thank you everyone! It was a rainy day in California(we need it) and I decided to clean my ~50 year-old 302, possibly to put on 50# braid. I put in carbon fiber drag disks and it is much smoother, getting ~10# of drag by my electronic scale. Could the internal components handle 50# braid?

Legal Bill

I have to bring Chris's old thread to the top so I can find it.

handi2

Quote from: smnaguwa on January 19, 2016, 03:17:38 PM
Thank you everyone! It was a rainy day in California(we need it) and I decided to clean my ~50 year-old 302, possibly to put on 50# braid. I put in carbon fiber drag disks and it is much smoother, getting ~10# of drag by my electronic scale. Could the internal components handle 50# braid?

The internals can only handle a certain amount of drag. Keep it light and the reel will last. Most people around here use 20lb mono for Kingfish and some Cobia.

They are much smoother than the Penn 706.
Gulf Breeze, FL

smnaguwa

b houlihan

dose aney one have part81404 the part from hell for a mitchell 303 thanks