Penn 8500SS - Handle/Bail Synchronicity

Started by Marlinmate, May 01, 2010, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Completely tore down and rebuilt one. Spins like a top with one minor issue. On every 3rd handle revolution, the bail comes awefully close to the handle arm, sometimes "clinking" against it when really spinning the handle.

I have a feeling I will need to "clock" the rotor one way or the other to fix it, but was wondering if there is an easier way during reassembly to make sure this doesn't happen.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

this is why i don't work on spinners.  without having worked on one of these in months, i would first try rotating the rotor 180 degrees.  i don't think that would work but it is the first thing that comes to mind.  the second is to add a small washer under the rotor to "raise" it up a little.  i've had the same problem and always eventually stumbled on a solution.  i just can remember what that solution was.........  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

I think I'm going to try a washer under the handle (on the threaded post that screws into the main gear) to move the handle out a little bit.
I'll let you know if it works.

akfish

Your bail is bent. Turn the handle until it hits and then figure out ho to bend it back. I see this lots with reels fished from shore. People catch a fish an then put their reel down too hard and bend the bail.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Marlinmate

Well, I figured it out. I placed a washer underneath the handle to move the handle out a little bit. This fixed it. Upon closer inspection I noticed the hande arm itself was bent in towards the bail. Looks like someone dropped it on the handle arm and bent it in and twisted it somewhat. Must've been this way for a while because there is a wear mark on the handle rivet holding the rubber handle onto the arm.

Put the handle on a flat anvil, and noticed a slight bow in it. Took a rubber mallet and gave it the ole "fonzerelli whack"a few times and straightened it right out.  ;D