Newly finished....sittin on the dryer

Started by heckrazr, January 06, 2014, 08:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heckrazr

Aloha All,

I just got done refurbishing and old rod that was given to me....

Painted the blank, replaced all wrappings and guides and installed new hypalon grips.  Reel seat was in great shape so left that intact.  Homemade wrapper and dryer.

Maui is where the heart and soul belong.....very soon

wallacewt

hi heckrazr
2 ?  whats the unit you used
to attach the rod butt to the sm/motor
and is that a sliding  thread  platform(plinth)
good stuff.

erikpowell

good stuff heckrazr.. thanks for sharing.

I was at my friends house the other day & he offered to give me an old 5' calstar rod with some rotting old neoprene grips.
I declined because I didn't have a good idea how I would change the grips without cutting all the guides off and rewrapping the whole thing.

Is that pretty much what you did?   I'd like to hear more about your method.

Mahalo

heckrazr

Wallace, I used 2 white pvc couplers from Home Depot. A 2" thread on adapter down to an 1 1/2" male coupler that had a 1/2" hole in the center. i enlarged the hole to 5/8" to fit the tablesaws arbor and just tightened the sawblade nut on the arbor. 

As for the plinth? It is just a piece of hardwood with thread roll holders mounted on bolts coming up thru the bottom with washers and a spring tightened down by nuts. i clamp it to the table and move it as necessary. Remedial but it works.

Erikpowell that is exactly what I did. This Garcia pole had the tip broken off and rotten grips so I just cut all the guides off, cut the grips off and rewrapped all with new guides and replaced the new grips.  To heat up the buttom grip to stretch over the bottom of the blank I used a 14" pvc tube mounted vertically on a piece of plywood. Throw grip in pvc with a 6 oz weight on top, pour boiling water and wait about 2 minutes. pull weight out and grip rises to surface. easy to stretch over the bottom after that.

saltydog

As for getting old grips and reel seats off if you have a deep enough container we use a stove pipe with welded ends you can get the water boiling and submerge the whole grip for a few minutes and they will come off the back end as long as the reel seat wasn't too wide.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Eric,
Their are several grips that can be done with the reel seat in place. Cork tape, the new shrink tubing or paracord, lots of options. I think I'd go back to my buddy and give that rod a second lease on life.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

Cord wrapped rods are fantastic, I've done a few recently.

MacArthur

Topshot

May I ask what you used to paint the blank. I'm going to be restoring that tuna king rod but want to switch up the colors
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

heckrazr

I just used a flexible urethane rattle can I got from DIY Center locally.  Worked great.

floating doc

I've used epoxy spray paint, made for appliances. It's really hard and durable,  and won't react with the epoxy when you finish the rod.
Central Florida

saltydog

I use flat spray paint in light coats then a little rod finish.
MacArthur

erikpowell

ahha, the boiling trick...can't believe I didn't think of that. right on!

Quote from: noyb72 on January 08, 2014, 06:53:57 AM
Eric,
Their are several grips that can be done with the reel seat in place. Cork tape, the new shrink tubing or paracord, lots of options. I think I'd go back to my buddy and give that rod a second lease on life.
Ron

i think you're right Ron... Thanks for the ideas guys!

William, don't I remember you doing a cord wrap awhile back?..i'm gone look that up for inspiration. Never done that before.

saltydog

The next rod I build I'm gonna do a tutorial on cord wrapping.
MacArthur