3/16ths of an inch, or 5/16ths ??????

Started by alantani, January 18, 2014, 06:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Alan,

I didn't explain myself very well.  I bought the handles (knobs) from you.  There is nothing wrong with them.  I bought the handle arms from Keta (Lee) and I may have ordered the wrong one from him.  My question is what size hole should be in the handle arms for the 5/0 knobs.  The one from Lee has a hole large enough for your handle knob screw.  Is that all it needs to have or is the other arm from Lee the correct one for the 5/0 knob?  Tom

Tom, been having this problem alot lately.  gotta start standardizing things more.  there are two size holes....

the first is 3/16ths inch in diameter and it fits a 10-32 stainless steel screw.  lots of manufacturers that screw their handles on will use this size hole.  the base of the spindle is cut flat.  

the second is a 5/16ths inch hole.  it's found on the later model penn senators.  it takes a counterbored spindle and is a stronger way to connect a grip to an arm.  i have a spindle that is counterbored just for this arm.  i use this size hole on some of my own arms, including the two speed and single speed tld's and some of the newells.  

the problem is that i have been inconsistent.  but so have the reel manufacturers.  if you drill out the old handle grip of a reel and save the arm, the hole might be too large for the screw alone, but too small for the counterbore.  then you have to drill it out to 5/16ths of an inch.  that why i still have both spindles

regarding lee, he can cut either size holes for his arms.  you have an arm with a small hole.  let me fix it on my end by sending you a handle grip with a spindle that is cut flat.  it is the one designed to fit a 3/16ths inch hole.  .  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I can drill and ream them out to either size, send the arm back and I'll send the proper one.  I prefer the 5/16" ones for reels from 113H and up.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain