9/0 line setup

Started by Topshot, January 18, 2014, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

I'm ordering line this week but still undecided what to get. I was thinking of running straight 80lb mono but I don't know if that's going to enough line on the reel. My next opinion was 600 yards of 130jb hollow core with the rest I'm guessing 200yrds or so of 80lb or 100lb mono.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

JB 130 to 100 mono would be the Ultimate! That's pretty stout for a 9/0. I have so many reels, I go straight 80lb mono on the 9. Lee can get a good deal on the JB. I'm going to spool my 12 and 14/0 with JB 130 to 130 lb mono.
You are opening a can of worms here. Every one does it different. ;D
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

I am currently spooled with straight 80# Ande on my 9/0. If you want to run staight mono then go 80# you will have enough there for all your fishing. A good choice and i plan on making the switch is to go with the Momoi Hi-Catch 80# the diameter of it is alot smaller and you will gain approximately 100-150 extra yards by spooling with it.
If going Braid to Mono top shot then my choice would be run enough braid to leave you with 150-200 yards on the top shot and you should be fine.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Topshot

I might do the best of both worlds. The 130 jb with the momoi 80lb on top. That should give me more then enough line. I figure with the 9/0 being my biggest reel(at the moment I always like to over prepare. Who knows I could stumble upon a pretty decent shark and I like to have the confidence in my gear.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

saltydog

If you are fishing a stock 9/0 and need a lot of line plus a topshot we spool 500 yards of 80# braid and then pack the spool with either 50 or 60# mono. Fish it with 12 to 20 # of drag and remember when the line is going out your going to have to back off on the drag the deeper the fish gets into your spool or you will suffer breakoffs or reel damage. Now if you have a ss gear sleeve and gears then go ahead and fish 80# or 100# on top of 500 yards of 80# braid. Most of the time I fish straight 50# mono off the beach or when fishing amberjack I use straight 80# mono. There are so many ways to set one up it all depends on how your fishing and what your fishing for.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Topshot

Already got the gear sleeve and drags. And I got my order in for one of the aluminum frames. And just need to save a little more the ss gear set. So I'm not scared to push this reel
Michael Baughman

Bryan Young

Quote from: Topshot on January 18, 2014, 10:39:05 PM
Already got the gear sleeve and drags. And I got my order in for one of the aluminum frames. And just need to save a little more the ss gear set. So I'm not scared to push this reel
what drags did you get?  Pen stock drags are good for about 28#-30#s.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Topshot

I just ordered the 5 stack of ht100s with the ht100 under the main gear. I went with those till I can get the extra cash to buy the hex main gear
Michael Baughman

erikpowell

I was going to use straight mono on mine... mainly because I've already got a 1000m spool of Ande 80# Envy.

Chris, Daron how much 80lb do your 9/0 spools suck up? 

I already asked Daron this once before.... But sometimes I can't understand his accent  ;D ;D ;D   

Chris Gatorfan

If I'm not mistaken i am right around 700 yards. She was spooled when i bought it. My drops are around 250-300 yards and i am at about 2/3 remaining on my spool.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Jeri

Hi Guys,

Can I ask a question – as this thread does seem to highlight a common trend.

Why base load with braid heavier than the mono top shot??

Surely, if you are getting down to the braid with a far running shark, or any other fish for that matter, you can't use the strength of the braid to its potential, as the pressure on the mono would cause a breakage there.

If you were to use equal strength braid and mono, it would give you more capacity of braid, thus even more total capacity?

Just a thought.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Chris Gatorfan

When most people get to the 100 pound range of braid they use the 130# because for whatever reason it costs less than comparible sizes. the other reason is that they try to get close to the same diameter on lines because it allows for a better connection. thats as for as my knowledge goes on the line subject. There are some guys on here though that can really get technical about the subjuect of line.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Keta

I base my Spectra choice more on diameter than breaking strength.   
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Topshot

That's the main reason I run heavy braid with heavy mono. I do mostly flathead Catfishing here in arizona. I run 200lb power pro under my 60lb mono. Sure I could just use 50lb braid but you try tying 50lb mono to the braid with the equivolante of 12 pound mono. I just don't trust it. Not to mention where I fish I have a lot of sunken trees and bolder piles. With my experiences any power pro under 100lbs just doesn't have the abration resistance for it. And the thing about 130lb braid being cheaper is strangely true. I was my local tackle shop and 130lb jb hollow was 18¢ a yard as compared to 80lb which was about 23¢ a yard. It's just smarter on your wallet
Michael Baughman

Chris Gatorfan

I will figure out that pricing thing one day
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.