2 piece graphite surf rod

Started by Redfish King, January 18, 2014, 10:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

I just received a 2 piece graphite blank from Breakaway 13 ft HDX.The ferrule where the 2 pieces go together is not really a ferrule its just machined to fit together.The butt being the male fitting and the tip the female.The problem is they don't fit all the way to the machined shoulder on the butt side.So I have never seen this set up before whats the solution?

AndrewC

Shimano catana series rods have the same problem. The only way I found around it is to sand the male section with emery paper until you get a snug fit
The worlds a better place when its upside down

Redfish King

Thanks Grumpy---I was thinking that would do it just needed to hear someone say it.You could also wrap up to the tip but as far as strength in the connection you want it to insert fully.Mines about 3 quarters of an inch from making up.Any ideas to stiffen the connection if you get it too loose?--except for DON'T DO IT !

Bryan Young

I would leave it. As you use the rod, it would wear a little. If you sand too much, they are difficult to fix.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 19, 2014, 12:46:25 AM
I would leave it. As you use the rod, it would wear a little. If you sand too much, they are difficult to fix.

x2

philaroman

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 19, 2014, 12:46:25 AM

X3...  don't sand, unless you are seriously concerned that there's not enough male going into the female (and even that could be genetics ;) :D ;D )  just clean thoroughly w/ alcohol -- maybe there's some kind of residue; maybe the manufacturer left you some room for thread-work...  don't do anything irreversible, unless you're CERTAIN!!!

P.S., by "not really a ferrule its just machined to fit together", you don't mean a spiggot ferrule, by any chance -- do you?  some of those are intended not to meet flush, to avoid damage under stress & allow for wear

Jeri

Hi Redfish King,

Whatever you do, don't sand the male ferrule!!!!

They are designed to fit so far in, and then allow for wear through the usage of the rod. There will be wear through the course of the rods life, salt, sand and grit getting in and acting like a fine grinding paste.

Clean both parts of the joint with alcohol or similar, allow to dry and then treat with silicone furniture polish. This is what we do with all jointed rods, as the silicone polish doesn't allow sand or salt to stick to the joint parts, and acts as a dry lubricant for assembly and dismantling. Very little sticks to silicone.

Use the same polish on the rest of the rod, rings and reel seat, as it will help keep the rod in good condition – even through heavy beach usage.

However, DON'T apply silicone to the blank at all, before you build the rod. Silicone will stop all the resins from setting and ruin all your build work. Our workshop has few rules, the top of the list is that no silicone product ever get in the door.

With your new blank, wipe the whole blank down with acetone (if unpainted) or alcohol (if painted), before you start any work on building the rod.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Redfish King

It is just machined ---4 inches make up with 3 quarters of an inch to make the shoulder.I cleaned inside and out with alcohol still doesn't make up.The fit that it does make feels pretty good.Thanks for the advice I will speak with the seller tomorrow.