7'-8' Live Bait Stick, (30-40)-Narrow Rating.

Started by sundaytrucka, January 19, 2014, 01:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I have been looking at the Calstar Grafighters, I have a few glass rods and wanted to change it up and try the graphite for bait. Looking at the 700M, heavy 30, light 40# rod as I have heard around and the 800H, with slightly similar line rating. I want a heavy 30# setup I can use to put more pressure on a fish around kelp beds. I prefer using 30# for yellowtail in most situations.

Mostly going to fish 30# for yellowtail and as #40 white sea bass rod.

Any opinions?

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

I used a 700M for years and loved it. That rod automatically added yardage to my casts and has the backbone for anything you should be fishing with it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

johndtuttle

I have had a 700M for probably 15 years?  Great all around rod.

These debates come up all the time on BDOutdoors and some guys prefer a 700MH I think for fishing 40, but I think the 700M perfect for 30-40lb.

Typical live bait fast action (softish tip, but plenty of back bone). I use it for everything from Rockfish to Salmon, Tuna to casting Iron or Yo-Yo.

Put a 3/0 size of your choice on it and ill will handle one hell of a lot of fishing from a boat. A West Coast classic.

best

SoCalAngler

It really comes down to the way you want the rod to feel. I like the 700m for 30lb, the 700mh for 40 others like the 700mh for 30 and the 700h for 40. If you can bring your reel with you with the drag set at the numbers you want, strap it onto the rods, run the line through the guides and and have the guys at the shop hold onto the line until you load up the rod and drag slips. Try a few rods and get the one that feels right to you. I nornally just have the guys at the shop hold the tip as I load up rods to get a feel for them. Don't have your buddy or someone who dosn't know how to do this grab onto the tip as you pull. I have seen many rods break this way as the load must be distributed through the whole blank. If done incorrectly you can break tips, the force can act the same as high sticking a rod, applying to much force on the thinnest part of a rod.

Edit: If I was looking to get one rod to fish both 30 and 40lb I'd look hard at the 700mh

LTM

Sundaytrucker,

You seem to be building a nice little arsenal for socal fishing. I like 8' rods for most applications up to and including 30#. That being said, my experience is with the 900M which I use for jig casting and just love pulling on and casting with it. I would not choose the 700M for 40#, too much load IMO. Ive been looking at composite glass/graphite 7' rods for awhile now. I would like to own a composite version of my glass calstar 670 which is one of my most versatile rods for 30/40# bait and jig's. i also want this rod to be rail-rod ready. I was QUITE impressed/pleased with the offerings from Phenix rods and it would be worth your while to check them out before you make your decision. You can pull on some at Rogers place in Santa Fe Springs.......SAV ON TACKLE.

Good Luck,

Leo

PS Dont forget to say "hey" to Pete and T when you see them for me.

Newell Nut

I use a 800M with a Newell 332-5 and 40 lb mono for snapper/cobia fishing up in the water and it whips them all just fine. I use another 800M with a 533 4.6NK frame and 40 lb mono for bottom fishing for snapper with about 25 lb of drag and it works great. The 700M is stiffer than a 800M but I prefer the 800M for casting action.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: LTM on January 20, 2014, 07:19:04 AM
Sundaytrucker,

You seem to be building a nice little arsenal for socal fishing. I like 8' rods for most applications up to and including 30#. That being said, my experience is with the 900M which I use for jig casting and just love pulling on and casting with it. I would not choose the 700M for 40#, too much load IMO. Ive been looking at composite glass/graphite 7' rods for awhile now. I would like to own a composite version of my glass calstar 670 which is one of my most versatile rods for 30/40# bait and jig's. i also want this rod to be rail-rod ready. I was QUITE impressed/pleased with the offerings from Phenix rods and it would be worth your while to check them out before you make your decision. You can pull on some at Rogers place in Santa Fe Springs.......SAV ON TACKLE.

Good Luck,

Leo

PS Dont forget to say "hey" to Pete and T when you see them for me.

Leo,

The 670 is a 40 lb rod and its match in a Grafighter is the 700M. Now for 30 would be a 870 or 970 in glass and its match in the Calstar compostie is the 700ML

Like I said it comes down to feel to the user. I set my drags on the high side so I like a little more backbone to the rods I fish.

As far as the Phenix goes everybody has their opinion but with that said check the boards that sell used tackle here in So Cal. To me it looks like Phenix it the #1 used rods being sold. Calstar and Seeker have been in the game longer and have way more gear out there and Phenix has made strides to get back into the saltwater scene but why do you think they lead the way in used rods being sold?

LTM

Socal,

Thanx for the calstar cross references and the heads-up about the Phenix blanks, definitely worth looking into before buying.

Leo

sundaytrucka

I really appreciate the input on this one, It is kind of difficult choosing a blank to build. I am leaning toward the 700M or MH, 800H, or going old school with a Calstar 670. I have a Seeker 670, more of a 30# rod compared to Calstar's version; I am sticking with Seeker and Calstar (local companies, Calstar is in my hometown of Gardena).

Nothing against phoenix or other brands, I am a calstar and seeker fan boy, but prefer USA made. Phoenix rods are nice, and have good options, but their price point for a China made blank is kind of high for me. The company in Japan that makes Phoenix's CF also has a branch here in Arizona, maybe one day they will move some production here.

So yeah, if I cannot make a deal this weekend on a reel, I am putting an order in for a Calstar Blank.

Thanks again guys. Everyones input genuinely helps.

-Scott

SoCalAngler

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Calstar or Seeker should be the only rods anyone should look at. There is alot of good manufactures out there and some that are great. I don't know why Phenix rods are being sold used so much I only know that they are. Selecting any rod is very subjective and having many choices just makes it that much more difficult. I personally like the fact that we have such a large group to choose from. Competition breeds innovation in order to gain market share and IMO that only helps us, the end user.

Scott, you won't go wrong if you choose to go with all glass rods. I fish both and each has it's place. It seems like alot of guys that went to the composites are slowly comming back to glass for some of their rods. Kind of like how the big fish long range guys using spectra are moving away from roller guides and going back to ring guides. My best advice is to pull on the blanks you plan to buy. Do this side by side at the same shop if you can. Pulling on blanks at one shop one day and then pulling on others at a different shop dosn't give you the best feel in their differences IMO.

The Fred Hall show is comming up in a couple of months and there will be every manufacture there, or their gear, giving you the option to try all the blanks out for yourself under one roof.

Newell Nut

I use graphiters, black steel, stroker and seeker eglass/boron and the second eglass boron is being assembled this week. I don't know that I could pick a favorite but the low cost eglass/boron is a very impressive rod.

LTM

Socal nailed it,

The Fred Hall show is the ticket. Thats just what I used to do before buying a blank was to tug on them at the show then go get it made.

Leo

sundaytrucka

I decided on the 700M. Pete had all three rods at the shop, and I tested them out, I really liked the 700M and how it felt for heavier 30#, nice 40# rod. The 700MH is a legit 40# rod and the 800H can do 50# no problem. Pete said the 700M is the Graphite version of the Calstar 670, as SoCal mentioned, nice 30-40# rod.

Now I have to choose the colors for wraps.

Thanks again guys!!!

johndtuttle

Quote from: sundaytrucka on January 23, 2014, 02:51:37 AM
I decided on the 700M. Pete had all three rods at the shop, and I tested them out, I really liked the 700M and how it felt for heavier 30#, nice 40# rod. The 700MH is a legit 40# rod and the 800H can do 50# no problem. Pete said the 700M is the Graphite version of the Calstar 670, as SoCal mentioned, nice 30-40# rod.

Now I have to choose the colors for wraps.

Thanks again guys!!!

You won't regret it for a second. A true West Coast Classic, imo, the best all around rod I own.