Newell Metal Clicker Conversion Using ALL Penn Parts

Started by uluahunta, January 21, 2014, 06:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uluahunta

So I recently converted my Newell 338's from the Plastic Clickers to all Metal ones due to a P-Series Conversion which, as everybody knows, uses the Aluminum Spool which has a Metal Sprocket that will eat up that Plastic Clicker Tongue.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but just sharing how I did it. Chance um at your own risk lol!

Penn Parts List:
- Penn 309M Clicker Spring Part# 62-309 (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/62-309.aspx)
- Penn 309M Clicker Tongue Part# 35-60 (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/35-60.aspx)
- Penn 113HLW Clicker Button Part# 36-113 (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/36-113.aspx)
- Penn Retaining Ring (E Clip) Part# 69B-600 (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/69B-600.aspx)
- Stainless #8 Flat Washer (The 113HLW Clicker Button is a little too long so I used this as a spacer)

The Parts at a glance:

First disassemble the existing Plastic Clicker Assembly then install the Metal Clicker Spring (#62-309) using the existing Screw that was holding the Plastic Clicker Spring. Then, slide the Clicker Tongue in place.

Slide 1 #8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer under the Clicker Tongue (#35-60).

Install the Clicker Button (#36-113) like you normally would any other reel using the "E" Clip (#69B-600) to secure it.

Make sure everything works and you're good to go.
The only drawback I found is that the Clicker Button (#36-113) isn't big enough to completely cover the hole where the button goes through the side plate.

Click on the Pic to view the Video of the Clicker in Action. It's pretty loud but not as loud as the plastic clicker and graphite spool.

Thanks for your time.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married! ~anonymous

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Nice out of the box thinking there. Well done. Just don't do this if you are keeping the graphite spool since the metal clicker will eat up the plastic sprocket.

BMITCH

Great idea. Thanks for posting. I've got two Newell's that are on need of this update.
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

alantani

nice!  hey, send me a pm with your address.  i want to send something out to you!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Frank

Nice Uluahunta!!!

Never had a problem with the metal clicker tongue eating up the graphite spool sprocket. The red and purple Newell reels came from the factory with this as the stock arrangement.

One thing I have come across is varying lengths of clicker spring screws. Just make sure the screw from the plastic spring isn't to long or it will dimple the outside of the sideplate.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

uluahunta

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married! ~anonymous

uluahunta

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 21, 2014, 07:56:03 PM
Nice out of the box thinking there. Well done. Just don't do this if you are keeping the graphite spool since the metal clicker will eat up the plastic sprocket.
Quote from: BMITCH on January 21, 2014, 08:13:43 PM
Great idea. Thanks for posting. I've got two Newell's that are on need of this update.
Quote from: alantani on January 21, 2014, 09:01:26 PM
nice!  hey, send me a pm with your address.  i want to send something out to you!
Quote from: Frank on January 21, 2014, 09:19:35 PM
Nice Uluahunta!!!

Never had a problem with the metal clicker tongue eating up the graphite spool sprocket. The red and purple Newell reels came from the factory with this as the stock arrangement.

One thing I have come across is varying lengths of clicker spring screws. Just make sure the screw from the plastic spring isn't to long or it will dimple the outside of the sideplate.

Thanks everybody!

fishhead69

VERY INGENIOUS IDEA. THANKS FOR SHARING THAT WITH EVERYBODY. YOU'RE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR.

Redfish King

Anybody Know if this will work on a C220-5? Also is there a Tib. frame for this reel?

Newell Nut

Send Gregg Chow and email for the Tib frame. chowderpuff7@yahoo.com

The clicker should work for the 220. They also have them at uluajunkies.com

ez2cdave

UluaHunta,

Here is your tutorial in a downloadable PDF format, for easy sharing ( Attached Below )

Tight Lines !

reel man

ez2cdave

Quote from: reel man on December 10, 2016, 07:21:56 AM
The 200 series uses a shorter clicker button.

Did you mean "clicker button" or "clicker tongue" ?

I think the 300 - 600 Series use the same clicker tongue, but it might be smaller on the 200 Series . . .

Tight Lines !