Furuno 585 issues

Started by Gadget, January 22, 2014, 05:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadget

Hi Guys
i'm here in Albany Western Australia and need to seek some advice from further afield .
two issues really
1. I have the 585 rigged together with an airmar 1kw transom mounted transducer
the system works real well until we head to the shelf and start fishing in 175 to 240m
At that depth the returns from the low frequency setting start to get marginal despite manual gain control (off auto)
It may be my tuning, but are their any other settings within the machine that help with the deep water sounding.
2. The transducer has a water temperature sensor built into it but I cannot get the unit itself to read or display the temp
again there must be some setting within the machine that I have not turned on or am missing altogether.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as there's little assistance in this neck of the woods

A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

raumati01

Re the temp setting is it the one that has the line across the screen or the temp setting in numbers in the corner?

Gadget

Good question.my screen is devoid of either. On another 585  from a guy up the road it shows on his as a numeric display.the machines seem identical .the only difference being the transducer. his is a through hull version (fibreglass hull) his water temp sensor is a separate unit on the transom whereas mine is built into the airmar unit >:( \I'm going to go through the whole handbook again this weekend and try to see if I can fathom it out.(not that I haven't already done that a number of times.)

locknut

Gidday mate I have probably the same set-up with the transducer. In water under 200m its great but deeper it struggles, in part I am sure due to my hull design in that it is impossible to get a clean flow of water without significant air bubbles past the transducer. Moving to 50kHz does not really improve things much. if I stop you get a great picture but hard to troll when stopped. I have  from Furuno Australia an "Echo Sounder Training Document FCV-620/858" Volume 1 April 2008 it has some great tips see if you can get it from Furuno Aussie (07) 3399 8733 not sure if that's their current number. If not drop me a PM and I will copy it and send it over to you. Re temp check the transducer supports temp my 1Kw does but who knows my one did not need setting up it just worked when plugged in it shows a line across the screen not a readout. On the left of the screen you can see the temp. scale with the line going across the screen  just above 22 sorry the photo is not the best good luck Jeremy

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Tara-iti/media/P1000548_zps3b413f1f.jpg.html

Tightlines667

Alot of high power transducer-related problems are either caused by:
1)Electrical interference/magnetic inductance issues
2)Location/style of mounting the transducer on a given hull

With respect to 1)..
-It helps to use the shortest transducer cable you can, and run it sonewhere that is isolated from other wires that carry power
-Capacitors (the larger the better) can be installed in-line with and power carrying wires that are running in close proximity and parallel to the transducer wire.  (You can pick these up at Radio Shack).  I've used capacitors to solve my inductance-related electrical interference issues.  An electrical tester can tell you if a wire is producing interference-level inductance.

With respect to 2)..
-Many of the boats here in Hawaii typically use what I consider to be an ingenious method if mounting high-powered, bronze, through-hull transducers...
-They mount the through-hull to the base of a metal pole, which in turn is mounted to a metal plate with appropriate circular fittings (that can be tightened) to accept the rod, and tilted, using a bolt or bolts.  This is in turn mounted externally on the transome.  This custom-fabricated mounting bracket has the advantages of:
1)allowing quick and precise adjustments of the large transducer...it can be moved up and down, rotated, and tilted for and aft.  This lets you adjust the transducer to the correct angle for the vessel's typical speed, and can ensure the unit is always in clear, air/bubble-free water
2)you only need a few holes in your transome above the water line, and it's easy to change, modidy or mount multiple sensors on your bracket.

If you search Hawaii CL or talk to the good folks at our Martime education program you can find pics and more info about this method.

Hope that helps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gadget

Thanks guys for your advice
the battle continues but I have not given up
will keep you all posted if i can sort it out
It might help someone else down the track
regards

Gadget

Just an update in case anyone else has problems
I have got everything working again now
Don't buy from Japan direct
the units come with a translated manual that tells you sweet FA
I downloaded the manual again from the Furuno.com and low and behold the manual is a lot more detailed than the one I had
a few alterations here and there and we had temp readings
BUT
factory setting turned out to be plus 5degrees (why god only knows )but I knew the initial readings could not be correct for
Albany WA so  a few more tweaks and it all works perfectly.
Still have deep water issues but that a whole other story.
lucklily deep drop fishing is something we only dare do occasionally as the weather is rarely stable enough for long enough.