okuma spinning reel model Elite EL-70

Started by sheepshead, January 22, 2014, 07:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheepshead

any body with any info on this reel, okuma website doesn't list it. the anti reverse is broken I opened it up but cant figure it out.

johndtuttle

Quote from: sheepshead on January 22, 2014, 07:40:52 PM
any body with any info on this reel, okuma website doesn't list it. the anti reverse is broken I opened it up but cant figure it out.

can you post of picture of the AR? We should be able to help you with it if we can see what type it is.

best

philaroman

is it a real Okuma, or one of those "exclusives" made by Okuma for a specific retailer (e.g., Centrific & Stratus for Dick's, Cabela's Salt Striker, etc.)?  what's the price price-range of the reel (new/retail)?

sheepshead

as far as I can determine the reel seems to be sold only as combo with a rod price is $25-$30 for both I guess a cheap of junk but before it broke it was nice smooth reeling and good casting casting I got is as a gift two weeks ago only used it four times on the beach

philaroman

return for credit or write it off.  Okuma low-end spinners are disposable -- too much production cost-cutting & not enough quality control.  you may luck into a few years of service, or it may crap out within weeks...  not worth ordering parts.

IMHO, your best option is to figure out which better Okuma in 65/70 size is compatible with your spool, rotor, handle, etc. & bide your time until you see a bargain on eBay -- something mechanically sound with missing external part(s) could be dirt-cheap.

... OR, you may run across the same combo with missing spool/handle in a store clearance bin, for $10-15

johndtuttle

Quote from: sheepshead on January 23, 2014, 12:30:42 AM
as far as I can determine the reel seems to be sold only as combo with a rod price is $25-$30 for both I guess a cheap of junk but before it broke it was nice smooth reeling and good casting casting I got is as a gift two weeks ago only used it four times on the beach

It very likely has a mechanical dog under the rotor that has gotten sticky from sand or salt. These are made out of the cheapest materials imaginable and one visit to the beach can start corrosion. Saturate it with Corrosion-x (ideally) or Wd-40 and you may be able to return it to function.