More adventures in powder coating

Started by jurelometer, January 30, 2014, 02:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lensters

Quote from: jurelometer on January 30, 2014, 07:21:34 AM
Quote from: LTM on January 30, 2014, 03:56:33 AM
Jurelometer,

Thans for the detailed info on powder coating, really helps me realize the exact process and type of results. Have you considered the Ceracoat process, is it more expensive than this poweder coat process? Have you considered/tried the Duracoat process as well?

Thanx,

Leo

Thank you Leo for the encouragement.   No experience with Cerakote/dura coat.    Looks like they have a high salt spray and Uv ratings.  Might require less equipment, as it looks like it can be applied by the gun owners themselves.   Probably worth looking into as a DYI alternative.

I've got a bunch of reels that could use some sort of treatment and after doing 5 hours of research it appears that KG Gun Kote with an underlayer of K-Phos is the absolute best way to go.  KG Gear Kote looks interesting as well.  It is a moly coating that looks similar to what Penn used on it's steel gears for a while (Gear Kote is on page 2)...

http://www.kgcoatings.com/protective-gun-coatings.php

Using PTFE (Teflon) was used by chemical engineers doing these kind of customizations 20-30 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

Now I need a spare oven to cook my parts.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

LTM

Thanx for the research Lensters,

Ive some gun related coating projects to attend to shortly. Thanx for this additional resource of info which to draw from additionally, expecially that Kote + K-phos process, got to check that out.  I was SUPRISED by the color options on some/most things.

Thanx again,

Leo

MFB

That is a sweet colour, nice work.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Dominick

Here are some photos of the "Tank" with its powder coated rings.  As I said I am not hard on my equipment so as far as holding up to heavy use I cannot answer the question.  These photos are of the tank after having been fished about 8 days.  I use reel covers transporting the gear.  The covers come off when the rods are in the rod holder.  They seem to hold up well.  Sal had them powder coated by one of the members so he will chime in and tell us.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broschro

So far so good.going on two years of heavy fishing with my 113 rings, lugs,handle arm and grip.no chips at all.

biggdogg305

I saw this post about powder coated penn senators and I was wondering what the cost would be to have mine done? i have 2 senator 4/0's that I've been trying to get restored from salwater pitting, how much would you charge me to get those (all chrome parts) powder coated?

jurelometer

Quote from: biggdogg305 on March 14, 2014, 04:31:36 PM
I saw this post about powder coated penn senators and I was wondering what the cost would be to have mine done? i have 2 senator 4/0's that I've been trying to get restored from salwater pitting, how much would you charge me to get those (all chrome parts) powder coated?

Broscho offers powder coating in member services.  You might also  be able to find a powder coater in your town.

Replacement chrome parts if available could be cheaper.   You might want to take a look at pennparts.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 15, 2014, 01:37:19 AM
Wow, that is an awesome color.
Why are you so surprised, you're holding that same reel on your avatar ::) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 15, 2014, 02:05:31 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 15, 2014, 01:37:19 AM
Wow, that is an awesome color.
Why are you so surprised, you're holding that same reel on your avatar ::) ;D
Because you are my hero Sal. :)  :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

id like to see all the silver bits done in black
including the screw heads
but thats just me
cheers sal

Wompus Cat

Hey jurelometer, wondering how this Reel fares today after 8 years if you still have it ?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jurelometer

My only shelf queen.  Haven't ever fished it.  Fished other reels that I have coated, but not many hours total.  Sent out some coated parts that I have made since then.  No complaints, but don't know if these were fished hard either.

What I have learned since then is that as long as you make a nice rough surface, the urethane/poly  coating isn't going anywhere. The downside is that it is more prone to scratching, but shallow scratches will not compromise the protection.

I suspect that a gloss finished coated reel that was rode hard is going to look pretty rashy after awhile.  But if it was prepped and baked correctly, the corrosion protection would be fine.  Harder coatings like traditional baked on enamels or ceramics will scratch less, but tend to chip and flake on failure.  Gotta pick your poison.

foakes

I know this was back in '14, Dave —-

However, your excellent tutorial is a great refresher.

Thanks!

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I wasn't around in 14, so I never saw this...great work Dave! But what I liked even more was reading Sal and Wallace having a convo. RIP, gents.....