How Long does mono last?

Started by westcoasttuna, May 15, 2010, 05:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoasttuna

I don't have any saltwater fishing buddies here in Vegas so I find it hard to get good advice out here. I want to know if I should replace my monofilament after I go on a 1.5 day in July to a 4 day trip in August, or how long is mono usually good for?

borntofish

It should last several years. It's hard to put an exact number on it as it depends on factors such as abrasion, friction damage from fast running fish and UV light damage. If in doubt test the strength with spring loaded scales for a drop in breaking strain. Also if it is not breaking at the knot this is a sign that it has deteriorated.

westcoasttuna

Ok cool, I usually replace line every year before the trip and then put every thing away indoors so they might still be alrite. Thanks for the advice!

Phinaddict

I bet you get several responses on this one....

If you're talking about two trips  this summer,  and the line is fresh,  then no worries. As Borntofish said, UV is the biggest factor. To his comments, I would ad heat. So, if you say you're keeping  the line indoors, a dark closet is ideal. If you're keeping it in the garage,  the summer heat can affect it. Changing your line seasonally is good practice.

I you back the reel with Spectra and topshot it with mono, the cost, over time, is low. And spectra lasts next to forever. I have reels with 8 yr old spectra and no worries at all. plus, you can change topshots and fish 30 or 40  or 50 teat as conditions dictate.

That's my  .02.................
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

akfish

My two cents: Spectra does last "forever" but if you leave it on your reel that long I'll guarantee that you'll have corrosion on your spool regardless of whether you pre-treat the spool with Corrosion-X, wax or whatever. At least every other year, you need to remove the spectra and wash it. I accomplish that by removing it by hand through a wet wash rag and then re-installing it the same way. As for mono: If you are using it s a top shot, change it every year at least. A mono top shot is cheap, much less valuable than a single fish. And if you're fishing straight mono in light line weights -- say 30# or less-- the same can be said for an entire spool of line. I tell my customers: How much is a single coho salmon, much less a king salmon, worth to you? More than a refill of 30# on their salmon reel. Change your line.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

westcoasttuna

Yea I was talking about going on two trips this summer. I will probably have new line on everything for the first trip then depending on how it goes I mite replace top shots or put new mono on the reels that took the most abuse. Thanks for all the advice, see ya on the water!

alantani

i replace my topshots after every trip, often at the end of every day for multi day trips. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!