alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Release Reel - SG
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 02, 2020, 11:14:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Release Reel - SG  (Read 85352 times)
Irish Jigger

Northern Ireland.

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »

Has anyone tried removing the ARB to thoroughly clean and lubricate it? I must agree with akfish that it does look hard to get at.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »

I will shortly.  I wanted to make sure I as able to get replacement screws.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
Irish Jigger

Northern Ireland.

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »

Have you considered metric stainless steel Bryan? Most al alloy reels now have them.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »

Have you considered metric stainless steel Bryan? Most al alloy reels now have them.
I don't have the time to search so I just contacted Wes at Release Reels and ordered a couple so I could take the reel apart further and have replacements as once is a fit tweeked.

I also found this video from CharkBait.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
jcm_101
Webmaster

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »

They are standard size metric screws if you guys are really worried.

Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com
docjun

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »

Hello guys, our SG just arrived here in the P.I. thanks to a friend who brought it in for us from California. Planning to take the SG out early march for some bottom and jigging for AJ's as well. Would you guys suggest i take the reel apart first and redo lubrication/drag regreasing or just fish with it off the box? Will be using 50# braid with it.
@bnz...with blood all over the deck, looks like a massacre just happened!...hahaha!
Learning a lot here guys, learning a lot!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:59:58 PM by docjun » Logged
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »

Hi DocJun,

Welcome.  I would personally open up the reel to make sure that all things that should be greased is indeed greased, then go for them AJs.

Bryan

docjun

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 08:20:37 AM »

Ok Bryan will do just that... Thanks.
bnz

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 08:06:52 AM »

Another update on this reel and Release as a company.  I was amberjack jigging with a guy who had just bought a new SG and brought it along for this purpose.  On his first drop he hooked up and then bam!, the antireverse went out when fighting the fish.  Release was contacted and the guy told to send the reel in with no questions asked.  I sent Justin at Release a pm asking about this reel and he responded back letting me know this was actually one of the earlier versions without the A/R pawl in it.  Then Justin pm'd me again when I asked how they made the repair on their first gen reels saying,

"I actually just swapped the side case with a new one, replaced his foot with a new one, swapped out his gears, packed his thrust bearing with light grease, added a new cam, and put on a new crank arm/power handle assembly. Oh yeah, I also polished his spool shaft and swapped out his spool bearings with some faster ones that didn't have any grease in them. "

Just wanted to give cudos to Release, and Justin, for their customer service and standing behind their products.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »

Justin and Wes are very good guys...and seem truly concerned for fellow fisherman and their reputation for providing a quality reel.

docjun

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »

That's good to hear bnz, only problem is that we are all the way here in Manila  Sad
What I would want to know are the parts availability specially the boca ceramic bearings which eventually may have to be replaced, the CF drags I suppose could come from smooth drags/carbontex . Could any of you gentlemen kindly share contacts or links with regards to other parts most specially the bearings. Thanks again.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »

I would contact wes and Justin via the site, email or facebook.

docjun

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 04:30:48 AM »

Thanks for the input Bryan...
Bert57

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »

thanks Bryan for the nice Tutorial on the SG Reel. i have an earlier 2013 model with the ergonomic grip. I just had in replaced with the magnum ball handle and looks a feel much better. I like the casting and all that drag for chasing Yellowtail in san diego.  Would like to improve the freespool by using the brass sleeve you made.  Is it possible to buy from you?

thanks Bert
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »

thanks Bryan for the nice Tutorial on the SG Reel. i have an earlier 2013 model with the ergonomic grip. I just had in replaced with the magnum ball handle and looks a feel much better. I like the casting and all that drag for chasing Yellowtail in san diego.  Would like to improve the freespool by using the brass sleeve you made.  Is it possible to buy from you?

thanks Bert
I've studied and studied and based on the design, I'm 90% convinced that I'd doesn't need a sleeve but the bearings needs to be opened, cleaned, and lubed with your favorite untrained thin lubricant.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: