Release Reel - SG

Started by Bryan Young, February 01, 2014, 09:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert57

Bryan,opened up the spool bearings, cleaned and oiled with TSI,  but only 15 seconds of free spool. Would a brass sleeve help?

Bryan Young

Hi Bert,  I finally had the chance to compare the free-spool with and without the spool bearing sleeve, and I must say, it helps ALOT.  I'm working to have a bunch made for those deep jiggers and casters that need a better free-spool.  Will advise.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Well, I received another reel from Release Reel.  Directly this time.  The one of the left is my reel and the one on the right is the new Release Reel version that they are currently making today.

As you can see, not much different on the outside.  So let's look on the inside.  Internal areas are now well greased.  I guess Release Reel is listening and with their lifetime warranty on workmanship, I can see why they would want to do it right the first time.

Check out the spring loaded anti-reverse system.  This will definitely stop the handle from going knuckle buster on you.  You will also notice that the teeth between each racheting of the dog is a very short throw...couple with a anti-reverse bearing, there is very little reverse handle play.  Something that I like in any reel.

And lastly, the most common concern with push system lever drag reels is...you got it, the pinion bearing.  The one on the left is from Release Reel and the one on the right is from an Avet.

Even at higher drag settings, the handle still rotates smoothly.  I believe this is due to the bigger pinion bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Black Pearl

Hi Bryan,

Can you check your reel if it has the same situation as this guy? If not, I think this guy is doing something wrong with this reel.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/6773358-post10.html

Bryan Young

I would love to help him but I cannot remember my user name and password for that site.  Have him come here and I could help.

I think he needs a pinion bearing.  Quite possible that he over stressed the bearing before he had line on the reel as many do when handled.

He should contact Wes or Justin at Release Reel.  They will help fix the problem.

Black Pearl

It seems that he returned the reel back to Charlbait and bought an Avet Raptor.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Black Pearl on June 05, 2014, 10:08:55 AM
It seems that he returned the reel back to Charlbait and bought an Avet Raptor.
Hope he is happy with the Raptor.  That's a nice reel, and like all reels, there are limitations...I hope he will realize that.

Wildman

How is the freespool (out-of-the-box) on the new reel?

Cranking up 38" per turn is a lot of line and could take a lot of work/power, even with the high torque handle and gear.  Has anyone fished this on bigger fish, say 40-50-60# yellowtail or tuna? (especially those on the West Coast who use the rail, instead of pump & grind?)

Bryan Young

Sleeved is much better.  I originally thought it wouldn't make a difference, but it did.  I don't recall the numbers though.  It's good but I wanted better.  So cleaned the spool bearings, lubed with tsi301 and sleeved between the spool bearings and free spool increased like 3 or 4 times if I recall.

fastfishin85

Hey bryan,i have a question for ya,bought a sg from sharkbait and outta the box only 8 pds of drag,so called justin and sent him the reel,reel works better but now i can only seem to get 16 pds at max b4 the handle becomes hard to turn and the lever is very hard to push to full,like the reel but just not what i expected,any ideas,really dont wanna send it back again,thanks bryan

fastfishin85

My other question is do these come stock with a spool sleeve or is that something you made for yours thanks sean

Bryan Young

Quote from: fastfishin85 on June 12, 2014, 06:52:27 PM
Hey bryan,i have a question for ya,bought a sg from sharkbait and outta the box only 8 pds of drag,so called justin and sent him the reel,reel works better but now i can only seem to get 16 pds at max b4 the handle becomes hard to turn and the lever is very hard to push to full,like the reel but just not what i expected,any ideas,really dont wanna send it back again,thanks bryan
I haven't had line on this reel yet.  I need to line it up and try it out.  If I have a chance to put line on it, I may send it with Alan to fish on his long-range trip for people to try out.

Regarding the spool sleeve, this is something that I made.  the length is 24.8 mm I believe.  It's mentioned earlier in the post. 

I'm waiting for my metric tubing and I was going to make up a bunch of sleeves as it really helps the free-spool.

Bryan

Jon_Kol

Great to find all this info. I'm looking at buying a SG to use with my Shimano Beastmaster Slim 20-30lb boat rod, since these reels are sold at a good price and available with a left hand side handle. Really like the silver/red gunmetal/red looks as well. I'd like to try something new, I have Avet on the other rods. Hopefully I'll be happy with a Release SG - I just hope that I'll be able to find it with the T-bar handle, as the other handle doesn't feel right in my hand. :)

Has anyone compared it to a Avet SX 5.3 in use?

Jon_Kol

Might as well reply myself here :D

I took a chance and ordered a Release SG. I'm not used to ball handles, so I hope it will be ok to use.. seems that the left hand version only comes with the ball handle (for now).

IF it turns out to feel all wrong, do any of you know if it's possible to put a different kind of handle on one of these lefty versions?

EDIT: Turns out that the SG has been pulled from the marked and will be out of stock for a few weeks due to Release changing the handle on the reels. Hopefully it will be possible to get the same model with the new handle, eventhough it's dissapointing that this happened just as I had ordered the reel. Oh well, not much to do but wait.. :P

BrianBM

A question or three on Release Reels.  First, somewhere in this thread I could swear I saw a reference to a thrust bearing.  The desirability of a thrust bearing in a small lever drag usually pops up in discussions of the small Avet reels; has Release preempted the problem by use of a thrust bearing at one end of the spool?  Second, is the SG a "push" or "pull" design? I'm seeing those words float around a lot, and it appears that the newer designs tend to the pull end of the pushpull spectrum.  Third, did the Release Reels Surf make an appearance at ICAST or not?  Most of my fishing's done from the surf line, and that's the one that was holding my interest.